How to bulk remove application access?

Lee Correll
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 27, 2012

So we've had a history of automatically assigning JIRA & Confluence rights to each new potential user of each customer of ours. This has resulted in several hundred accounts that have never been logged in to, but which are being charged against our OnDemand license count.

According to Atlassian's documentation, the OnDemand license count is incremented by each account that has access to an application.

So now I need to remove 400 accounts from having a specific application access. I see "Bulk Add Application Access", but I don't see "Bulk Remove Application Access"; there's no REST API call that references this that I can find and there's no SOAP/CLI reference either.

How do I address this without spending 4 hours of my life trying not to make a mistake in doing this manually?

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
twong_atlassian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 30, 2012

Hi Lee,

If you have a list in csv format, with username, our support team can assist you. Please open a ticket at the OnDemand support site, support.atlassian.com, and reference this answer.

Tim Wong

Atlassian Support-San Francisco

0 votes
Benjamin Fikse March 26, 2015

Sorry to necro an old thread, but atlassian support will no longer remove users from a .csv file. I have written a powershell script that uses their rest api that will accomplish the same thing. You can check out the script here: http://pastebin.com/65jxustH. Just change the top two variables and run the script. The script will prompt you for your credentials.

Edit: Changed URL to Pastebin instead of Codeshare

Felipevsw
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 24, 2015

I just see an empty code space. Was it removed?

Benjamin Fikse September 24, 2015

Hi Filepe, It seems it was removed somehow. I reuploaded it to pastebin here: http://pastebin.com/65jxustH You just need a .csv of the users you wish to remove.

0 votes
Lee Correll
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 30, 2012

I have a list of the users; there is no query i can currently use to select them.

0 votes
twong_atlassian
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 27, 2012

Do you have a list of all the users that you need to remove or do you have to query this information out?

0 votes
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 27, 2012

Hi Lee,

If you go to User Management -> Application Access, you should be able to remove access in bulk by unchecking the box at the top of the page. You can search by groups/users and de-assign in chunks this way (and can bulk add to groups prior if this helps with the search functionality). Unfortunately that's the only way to bulk remove application access. Moving forward, I would suggest changing your Default Application Access so that you don't assign licenses to all new users.

Hope this helps!

Best,

-dave

Lee Correll
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 27, 2012

No go, Dave.

if I uncheck all the boxes at the top of the page, I get "No application is selected"; if I try to set it so that only JIRA is selected, it tells me that "All users were successfully granted access to JIRA" but doesn't strip access to Confluence (not that such would solve my problem anyway.)

Lee Correll
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 27, 2012

Actually, I looked at "Bulk Add Application Access" in my comment above - but it doesn't work your way, either. If I go to Application Access, I can only select 1 userID at a time through the search box, or I get to scroll down page after page of userIDs. Is there a way to have the search box search for multiple userIDs?

Dave
Atlassian Team
December 27, 2012

I have tested this in a test OnDemand instance and it was successful - for the group showing, if I uncheck the box at the top, it unchecks all boxes for the users underneath, and when I 'update' it shows that none of the users have that application access. I can add and remove from JIRA and Confluence this way.

I would suggest going to that page and unchecking just the Confluence box, doing an update, and seeing if those users have been removed from Application Access for Confluence. If this is failing, you should submit a ticket at support.atlassian.com with screenshots of what you're seeing.

Thanks,

-dave

Dave
Atlassian Team
December 27, 2012

Unfortunately that's the only way to bulk remove - there's no way to search a list of users. The advantage is that you can remove from a large list and just add back those you need.

Dave
Atlassian Team
December 27, 2012

One more tip - the '%' is the wildcard character, so you can perform searches this way if that helps.

Lee Correll
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 27, 2012

Ah - you have your users broken into groups, and we don't do that. I have all of my 900+ users in the "Everyone" group; I can't use groups to differentiate. Is it possible to select multiple users from the search box somehow?

Suggest an answer