How to bulk move issues to a component

Patricia Wiebe June 23, 2011

I am running JIRA 4.2.4. I have project A with a bunch of issues I want to move to project B. The issues in project A do not have a component assigned, and are currently all closed. I want to bulk move them to project B, and assign them to a component in project B.

It seems that if the issues don't have components assigned while in project A, then I don't have the choice to choose a component for them in project B.

Is there a way to assign them to a component before moving when they are closed? If not, is there a way to bulk re-open them so I can bulk assign them to a component?

Ideas??

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Michael Tokar
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 23, 2011

Hi Patricia,

You can bulk-reopen the closed issues in Project A by using the Bulk Change Wizard.

1. Create a JQL query that will select your issues. Something like "project = A AND component IS empty AND status = Closed"
  2. Go to Tools > Bulk Change all issues
  3. Complete your selection of the issues to bulk change
  4. Choose Bulk Transition as your operation
  5. Choose "Re-open" as the transition. (You'll have to ensure that this is a valid transition for issues in Closed status.)
  6. Complete the wizard.

Once you've reopened the issues, you can then assign them a "dummy" component in Project A, so that when you move them to Project B you can change this component into the desired one. This will only work if all the issues are going to the same component.

1. Create a "Dummy" component in Project A
  2. Go to the issue navigator and search using JQL "Project = A AND status = Reopened"
  3. Go to Tools > Bulk Change all issues
  4. Make sure you only choose the issues here that you want to move - there might be other issues which are re-opened.
  5. Choose Bulk Edit as your operation
  6. Edit the "Component" field to have the value of "Dummy"
  7. Complete the wizard.
  8. Change your JQL filter to be "Project = A And component = Dummy"
  9. Again choose Bulk Change
  10. Verify your issue selection
  11. Choose Bulk Move
  12. Select Project B as the target
  13. You should be asked which component to use if Dummy component doesn't exist in Project B - select your destination component
  14. Complete the wizard

Now all your issues should be in Project B, with the component set. If you want to then Close those issues again, just do another Bulk Transition using the steps from the first set of instructions.

I hope this was clear. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Michael

Thank you for the clear steps! Worked like a charm and accomplished what I was trying to do.
0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2011

It is driven by your workflows. You can add a transition to reopen the issues, then builk reopen them! Once reopened, you can bulk edit them to add components and later close them.

Another option is to remove the jira.issue.editable property from the Closed workflow step and then bulk move them. In that case, you don't need to bulk reopen and bulk close again.

In both cases, you will need to modify the workflows.

I was trying to avoid updating the workflow, but thanks for the options!

Suggest an answer