How to bulk move EPICS and include all issues types including sub-tasks (on prem)?

Jason Steele May 13, 2022

I am attempting to bulk move 20+ EPICS from one project to another. In doing so it is not prompting to include child issue types. If I jql search for EPIC LINK in (JS-1, JS-2, JS-3) etc. id does not include sub-tasks. How do I bulk move epics and include all issue types and subtasks from one project to another? 

We are on prem not cloud. 

2 answers

0 votes
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2022

Hi @Jason Steele welcome to the community.
As per @Sreenivasaraju P said sub-tasks will be also moved.

subs.JPG

Found on this page

thank you. That makes sense. 

Like Craig Nodwell likes this
0 votes
Sreenivasaraju P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2022

Hi @Jason Steele ,

If you move parent ticket (standard issue types) to other projects. Sub-tasks also gets moved to the other project. 

While moving system will ask for the destination issue type of sub-task. You no need to filter them. If you move parent ticket, automatically sub-tasks also get moved.

Thank you. for some reason I am not getting that prompt of subtasks. When I move EPIC it is only prompting me for the EPIC and not any tasks underneath. I tried a test and it moved the epic only then I had to find the associates issues under and move those separately. I know this is non-standard so we are investigating on our instance. Have you seen this before?

Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2022

Are you sure they are sub-tasks and not just issues in the epic?

Yes. Definitely subtasks. It's not even prompting for issues either, which is odd. It's literally just moving the Epic and no child issues. 

Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 13, 2022

What gets returned from your search results?

Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 13, 2022

And the sub-task one you want to move .. what is the parent of that?  Is the parent the Epic or some other issue and if it's some other issue is that issue returned in the JQL search results?

Let's say the search is assignee = jsteele AND issuetype = EPIC

It returns 20 epics (correct). If I click on an epic (JS-1) it shows all the issue types associated with it. If I try to bulk move epics it isn't giving me the prompt for all issue types. It is only showing EPIC. If I move those it just moves the epic and the issues all stay in the original project. 

Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 13, 2022

Got it.  You need to move everything returned by the filter and not just the Epic.  Unless the "Issue In Epic" is a direct sub-task of the Epic itself, just moving the Epic will not move the issue(s) within the Epic.
So basically you need to create a filter that returns all the issues in the identified Epics and the Epics... and not just the Epics.
try this filter
"issue in childIssuesOf(Epic Name)"
or this one
parentEpic in (EPIC-1, EPIC-2)

Thank you. This is helpful.

Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 13, 2022

Hi @Jason Steele

this is arguably a workaround, but I think your problem would be quite easy to solve with the app that my team is working on, JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that, among many other things, supports issue hierarchies. So what you could do is,

• Create a JXL sheet that includes your epics and any *potential* children of these epics (e.g., any story/task/etc. in your project). Don't worry about the exact parent/child relationships; JXL will sort that out for you.
  • Within JXL, enable the issue hierarchy. This is a one click action.
  • You can now easily select the epics and their children (just like you would select cells or rows in Excel/Google Sheets), right-click them, and invoke the "bulk edit" process via the context menu.

This is how this would look in action:

bulk-edit.gif

(In the future, we may add a "move" feature directly to JXL - ideally through inline-editing, just like you can inline-edit other fields - but for now it's at least easy to invoke the native Jira flow.)

Hope this helps,

Best,

Hannes  

Like Jason Steele likes this
Jason Steele May 16, 2022

Thank you Hannes. 

Suggest an answer