How to bulk edit fixed version field

techops August 6, 2013

i use Bulk Operation - Move Issues and struggling to understand how do i make Fixed Version field to be possible to change value

6 answers

7 votes
Mette Veland September 16, 2019

Hey! We came accross this same issue today, however I think I found a solution: 

I noticed the following text under the option "Unavailable actions" in the bottom of the page when selecting edit issues in Bulk operation (Step 3 of 4: Operation details):
"Change Fix Version/s - NOTE: This operation can be performed only on issues from ONE project"

So I tried changing my search to include issues from only one project (Project = XXX) and tried again with Bulk change. The "Change fixVersion" was now included as an edit option with these 4 alternatives: "Add to existing; Clear Field; Replace all with; Find and remove these"

This at least solves our problem - hopefully it helps others as well :-) 

Mardee Brosh October 1, 2019

That worked for me! Thanks for the help. You have saved me a ton of time.

Like # people like this
Hugh Gallagher January 15, 2020

"I noticed the following text under the option "Unavailable actions" in the bottom of the page when selecting edit issues in Bulk operation (Step 3 of 4: Operation details):" ???

How do I get to that point? I can't see it in the UI (JIRA cloud)

Mette Veland January 15, 2020

I am using Jira on-premise, so cannot guarantee it is the same on Cloud. 

I found the text on the "step 3 of 4: Operation Details" page in the following way; 

1. Create a search for relevant tickets (if you want to see the text I mentioned above, remember to add tickets from several projects in your search)
  2. Select "Bulk edit" in the "Tools" menu on the top to the right of your search
  3. Choose issues and select "Next" (Step 1 of 4: Choose issues)
  4. Select "Edit issues" in the menu (Step 2 of 4: Choose operation)
  5. Now you are in the "Step 3 of 4: Operation details" screen. Scroll to the bottom of all the available options and open the "Unavailable actions". There you should see the FixVersion explanation I mentioned above
Like # people like this
Vamshi Korde February 5, 2020

I'm using the cloud version of Jira but I don't see the option when I run the ZQL to filter my testcases. 

Attaching the snapshot of what fields I see when I click on bulk update. 

Screenshot 2020-02-06 at 9.16.53 AM.png

Like # people like this
beechovsky February 28, 2021

<removed>

7 votes
Nikhil Gadkari April 5, 2019

There is a serious need that should be enforced asap:  "bulk edit of fix versions" should have been included years ago. But it is still not there.

4 votes
Igor Kosoy May 17, 2019

Atlassian support, another one bites the dust. One of many feature requests that  was left without the answer. I need to go one by one for multiple epics and stories to update fix version, just because Bulk update doesn't support it. <sad face>

0 votes

Changing Fix Version is now one of the top options in bulk edit:
Screen Shot 2021-02-28 at 11.52.48 AM.png

0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2013

issue has raised with atlassian related to bulk edit fixversion, check this

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-12056

some one given asnswer for this here

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/176774/how-can-i-bulk-update-jira-issues-and-add-a-fix-version

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2013

Why don't you use the "bulk edit" operation?

The question is literally about Bulk Edit's inability to do this.

Suggest an answer