How to (bulk) change resolution of already closed issues

pooja chourasia February 23, 2018

Need Help !!

To bulk change a number of unresolved issues across a number of projects.

I need to update is as follows:
Any issue that has a status of "Closed" and a resolution of "Unresolved"
Then
Update the resolution to "Completed"

Please suggest.

4 answers

2 accepted

12 votes
Answer accepted
Julian Governale
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2019

I know this is old but i had this issue and our process to resolve this is below.  This has worked pretty well for us since we had over 1000 issues that were a status of Close but resolution of unresolved - frustrating when trying to report on closed issues with this case.

1. isolate the issues that are in closed status but unresolved (or what ever your case is)
  2. (Optional) Export to excel to understand the scope of the issues / projects impacted
  3. For this example, its all under one project 
  4. Review the workflow for this project and on on the Close Status, tick the box to allow all issues to transition to this status
  5. Add a post function to this transition to set the resolution, in this example to Done
  6. Bulk change the issues that are unresolved but a closed status
  7. Transition the issues
  8. transition all the issues to close (Yes you are going Close to Close, all we want is that post function to run)
  9. Send the email if you like but since the end users expects these issues to be closed, i uncheck this
  10. Confirm and update the issues
  11. Review that resolution is now set.
  12. Go back into the workflow and remove the option to transition all issues to close.
  13. Publish your workflow and should be good to go. 

Caveat: resolved date and time is the Bulk update date and time so keep that in mind. 

André Matzke November 8, 2023

this accepted answer does not work.

If you try to add a transition in a workflow for "status 1" to "status 1" it responds with : "you cannot do this if youre in draft mode" .. so you stuck, because you need draft mode to add such a transition. So it seems Jira is broken ?

Rafa February 21, 2024

@André Matzke actually, it works : )

The official documented workaround asks you to make new outgoing / looping transitions. And that you cannot do, as you say, because you get the "not in draft mode" error (the workaround to that workaround is to clone the workflow, edit the new one, and move the tickets to the new workflow on the workflow scheme.. a mess).

But @Julian Governale 's trick is to simply edit the Status: "tick the box to allow all issues to transition to this status". This way you don't create a new looping transition.

Such a simple solution! After years of not bothering to clean up old unresolved tickets (because of the convoluted and flawed "official" steps needed), I finally resolved them now.

Remember to edit the post-funtion on the "all" transition to set the Resolution.

PS: jira being jira, if you have different workflows for different issue types, you will have to do the bulk edit for each issue type separately, because it only let's you choose one transition within one workflow (instead of letting you choose the transition that is appropriate for each issue type)

1 vote
Answer accepted
Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2018

Dear @pooja chourasia,

you will need the 'Edit' and 'Resolve' permission on all the projects, where the issues are located.

Then JQL

status = "Closed" AND resolution is EMPTY

Then right upper area 'bulk change', you only see this, if you have the global permission 'bulk change'.

It is possible, that you can only change the first 1000 issues - it's a hard limit. Just repeat the steps to get all.

So long

Thomas

pooja chourasia February 26, 2018

Hello Thomas,

Thanks for the quick response,

and I can see 'bulk change' option.

Like Seung Youp An likes this
Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2018

Dear @pooja chourasia,

does it work?

So long

Thomas

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 26, 2018

Can you pick one random issue and see if you could edit the resolution? (Not Bulk)

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2018

Normally, the Resolution should not be part of the Edit screen. So only performing a transition could lead to the desired outcome.

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 26, 2018

Sure, but when the user has a set of issue over many projects, I doubt that they all have the right transition which allows settung the resolution.

By checking the edit screen, we can just see if the user "can" set the resolution.

Hello Thomas,

I have added new transition and set resolution for it. It worked fine.

Thank You :) 

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 27, 2018

Don't forget to accept one or both answers, if they were useful to fix your problem.

Thanks

Thomas

pooja chourasia March 7, 2018

Sure Thomas :)   

Thank You

8 votes
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 23, 2018

Hi,

Additionally to what Thomas wrote, you may have to adapt the used workflows to allow editing of closed issues if Edit is not available within bulk change.

In this case you have to check the workflow step properties, if they contain jira.issue.editable=false you have two possibilities.

1.  temporary remove the property to edit the issues
  2. remove the property and add the new property jira.permission.edit.group=jira-administrators so that only members of the group jira-administrators are able to edit the issues (we did this for all our workflows)

Henning

Hello Henning,

Thanks for the reply,

Workflow transition has true value for the property 'jira.issue.editable', still I am unable to see any option to change the resolution for issues.

Also unable to edit issues.

Could you please suggest. 

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 26, 2018

I think, even if you have edit permission for each issue in your list (in this case the Edit Issues bulk change step should be available), you will not be able to change the resolution because it's not available for bulk edit. Sorry, I didn't though about this before.

See here for possible solutions: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/howto-bulk-edit-resolution-321857142.html

Let me know if you have ScriptRunner available on your system and need some help with it.

Henning

Like # people like this

Hello Henning,

This link has the solution, I have successfully implemented it and also worked fine.

Thank You :)

Like William Gunkel likes this
2 votes
Jakub Cieslak September 30, 2022

Hey, as an alternative, if you have global admin rights, you could setup a global automation to do the desired changes for you, example:

jira_auto_bulkchange1.JPG

And once you are all set, execute the rule manually:
jira_auto_bulkchange2.JPG

After that, I suggest disabling the rule, so it doesn't execute in the future by accident.

Adina Pierce October 17, 2022

Genius...I did it on the project level, and this was much easier than exporting and importing

Suggest an answer