How to bulk change "done" stories?

Paul Margetts
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 20, 2019

We have just started using Jira and now that we have completed a few sprints we realise that we want to add a "Fix Version" to all our tasks so that we can start getting a meaningful version report.  I know how to "bulk change" items in the backlog, but I haven't found a way to multi-select completed items so that I can "bulk change" the completed items to include them in the history of the "Fix Version".  Is there a way to do this?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2019

@Paul Margetts , start with a "search for issues"; you can use either JQL directly or use the "Basic" mode. Choose the project, issue type, and status (likely "Done") to get your list of issues you want to change. If you get a big list that is a mix of the issues you want to update, in the upper right, change it to table mode rather than detail mode (a bit easier to see all of them in one place)

Click the bulk change under the "Tools" and just select "all issues" even if it's not necessarily what you want right now. You can then select the ones you want to update discretely (or do all of them if you want) and in the windows that come up, set the Fix Version fields.

A note; make sure at the bottom of the field list that comes up to NOT have Jira send emails or you'll mailbomb a LOT of people when that goes off.

1 vote
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2019

Hi @Paul Margetts ,

by default, issues in the closed status can't be edited anymore unless they are re-opened.

That's why you can't bulk-change them.

There's a workaround described here: 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-do-i-edit-closed-issues-779160787.html

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2019

and as for "multi-select", when you bulk edit a filtered list you do have the option to select all or specific ones via the checkbox in step-2 of the bulk edit.

Suggest an answer