How to build a portfolio / multiple projects management with jira Software and Next-gen?

Alexander Jobst January 14, 2020

Hi guys,

as I am relatively new to Jira I hope my questions will not be too basic or flat out stupid. We have recently started using Jira-Software, Next-gen, Confluence and Bitbucket in our comany to manage our projects. 

I want to set up a board, which grants an overview and can generate reports for the different projects people are currently working on. This board should provide the user with basic information such as degree of completion, new and recently completed Stories and give insight into who is working on which tasks of a project. It should also show what kind of work needs to be done and distinguish between development, test and requirements definition at least. This distincition will probably be made via components.

I tried to set up such a board as a personal board first and ran into the following problems:

- there are much less reports than I anticipated and than there are in a normal software project

- I cannot represent all projects in this board but only a certain amount (which I think is due to the fact, that we have Next-Gen, Classic business and classic software projects)

I am a (unexperienced / necessecity-driven) jira admin.

Any advice on how to achieve this or simply pointing me into the right direction would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has further information on where to read up on this topic, I'd be thankful for that information, too.

I do know that there is also Jira-portfolio, but since we do not have it at the moment, I'd like to find an alternative with the products we have (if possible).

Kind regards,

Alex

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 15, 2020

Hello @Alexander Jobst ,

Thanks for reaching out, and when it comes to Portfolio and Next-Gen projects you can add them to a plan but the feature set is not compatible and you will loose a majority of the feature set.

I answered another thread about this recently that goes into more detail on the differences, viewable at the link below, please check this out and let me know if you have any additional questions:

Overall Using Next-gen projects in Portfolio is not recommended and the following Article details the functionality that will not be possible when using the next-gen projects in a plan in more details as well:

Regards,
Earl

Suggest an answer