How to bring back an epic into the Epic Panel after it's been "Marked as Done" ?

Anto January 16, 2020

I don't understand how the "Mark as Done" action from the Epic Panel works exactly.  It doesn't seem to change the status or the resolution of the pic BUT it removes it from the Epic Panel.  

I searched a bit everywhere but couldn't find any way to make my epic reappear in the panel.  What am I missing ?

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Veera
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 16, 2020

@Anto ,

You are right, when you mark an Epic as done, it'll not change Status or Resolution values.

In Jira, there is another field called Epic Status which is specific to Epics and it's different from the Workflow status. "Mark as Done" action sets the Epic Status to Done. You will notice this in the history panel of the epic which is marked as done.

To bring the Epic back to Epic panel of a board, you need to revert the Epic Status field value.

Make sure you have Epic Status field to View/Edit issue screens on your project. 

Then open the Epic and change the Epic Status field to To Do / In Progress.

Note: Epic Status field is not visible in the new issue view. We have been tracking this as a feature request: JRACLOUD-73469. So, you need to open the Epic in old view.

Anto January 17, 2020

Thanks a lot, you nailed it.  And thanks for the heads up about JRACLOUD-73469, I have upvoted the issue.

Like # people like this
Veera
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 17, 2020

You are welcome @Anto 

If you have no further questions, please accept the answer.

shavlovskiy February 8, 2022

Thank you so much!

mihai.caraman@hootsuite.com June 29, 2023

You don't need admin priv or an old version of Jira. You can update *Epic Status* by going to issue search, query by id, select bulk edit, and check the Epic Status field.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer