How to automatically assign a task performer as a subtask observer?

Aleksey April 24, 2021

Help to automatically designate the task performer as the subtask observer! What I have tried, it does not work.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2021

Are you asking how to add the Assignee of a parent issue to the watcher of any sub-tasks? If so I would use Automation. You mention what you have tried doesn’t work. Can you elaborate?

Aleksey April 24, 2021

Yes, to me need the assigned task executor to automatically become an observer for child tasks. I tried through automation in different ways, but none of them led me to the result, and in general, now it's a mess in my head. Push on the right path.

Like G subramanyam likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2021

Please share the automation you currently have and maybe I can help diagnose where it’s flawed.

Aleksey April 25, 2021

Tried through 2 triggers

1.jpg

1.jpg

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2021

Hi @Aleksey

testing on my own instance I had success with the following simple rule:

grafik.png

Please check if this works for you.

Regards,
Daniel

2 votes
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2021

Hi @Aleksey welcome to the Atlassian community.

These are the general steps I follow with Assignees, task and sub tasks. I'm sure your query falls under one of these scenario's.

Path 1: I create a Jira task/ story and assign to the assignee. If there is a dependency on that main task/ story, I create sub tasks and assign to new developers. Then in the Jira task comments section, I would tag all the assignees + the sub task should be closed only by approvals from the main task assignee. 

1. This way the task/ story and sub task completion can be marked for DoD (definition of done). 

2. The main task owner will have complete control and observation on all the child Jira issues.

Path 2: If the Jira main task/ story owner would like to observe other child tasks (sub tasks), then he may choose to link to the main task and tag all the assignees in the comments section for transparency.

Path 3: If the main Jira task owner is also the Jira project admin, then irrespective of who ever is working, he will be notified in his inbox.

Path 4: Keep clicking on watch this issue, to be notified in the inbox. 

I hope I'm clear with flow. Please stay safe and stay healthy.

Aleksey April 24, 2021

Thank you. I did not quite understand. The goal is for the assigned task executor to automatically become an observer of the child subtasks.

Like G subramanyam likes this

Suggest an answer