How to automatically assign Bugs to QA team (assign back to reporter) after developers fix it

Mohajit Acharya November 25, 2019

My requirement is as below:-

I would want a Bug to be automatically assigned back to the Reporter when the status transitions from "In Progress" to "In QA" using post function. The simple workflow that we use for Bug is as below.

Open->In Progress->In QA->Done

If it is possible, what would happen in case the reporter of a Bug is no longer in the Organization i.e. his/her Jira ID is unavailable?

Manual option for this requirement:

Can I enforce a user to change the Assignee of a Bug when the user changes the status from "In Progress" to "In QA" with an error message?

My present challenge is huge no of Bugs are sitting in "In QA" bucket and Reporters have no clue about it as these are still with developers only. Repeated reminders and multiple mailers for raising the awareness among users are not achieving any significant success in this matter.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Leonard Chew
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2019

Add this postfunction to your transition

postfunciton.png

Leonard Chew
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2019

Remove the "assign" field on your transition screen.

Mohajit Acharya November 26, 2019

Thanks a lot, Leonard!

Mohajit Acharya November 28, 2019

Hello Leonard,

I have a follow-up question in this regard. My requirement is to assign a Bug back to the user when it was in "In Progress" state i.e. assign back to the developer who had fixed the Bug while reopening a Bug from "In QA" or "Done" state.

Is there a post function I can use for the same?

Thanks,

Mohajit

Leonard Chew
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 28, 2019

So in other words, when reopening the issue, you want the assignee to automatically be the assignee at the time the issue was transitioned from "In Progress"->"In QA".

That is not possible with the OOTB features.

You could do it with an app such as scriptrunner by adding (one or maybe two) scripted postfunctions.

Like Mohajit Acharya likes this
Mohajit Acharya November 28, 2019

I get it. Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately, due to the IS policy of my Organization, I am not allowed to install any Jira Plugins.

Andy Gabin Tchebetchou
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 28, 2024

Hi,

please can you give me more details. I don't find this option in the new update of Jira

Suggest an answer