How to automate the change the fix version based on a subset of the sprint name change

Rafael Francisco Garabato Bonino June 16, 2021

Hello,

We are having fixed release dates per quarter and respecting a naming convention for each release "PROJEC2021_Q4", then for the sprints we are doing something similar having 2 week sprints with the following naming convention:"PROJECT2021-Q3S6 Team". I would like to be able to either:

• Based on a story that changed the sprint to Q4 sprint 1, I would like to be able to change the fix version to the PROJECT2021_Q4 with an automation rule. For instance, if I could define a group in the regular expression and use those groups as parameters for changing the sprint, it would be optimal.
  • Another option is to check the version release date and sprint end date to define which version should be used. 

I could not find any hint on how to achieve this. Is it possible?

Thank you,

Rafael.

1 answer

1 vote
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2021

Hi @Rafael Francisco Garabato Bonino 

Either one of your ideas should be possible with text functions and regular expressions...And I am a bit unclear on your flow of events.  Perhaps mapping out that will help you create the rule.  For example some questions to help guide that:

• Are you manually creating the versions before they are needed?
  • Are you manually creating the sprints before they are needed?
  • Do you want the rule to just assign a value to fixVersion (or Sprint) based upon changes to one of the fields...or do you want the rule to create the version (or sprint)?
  • When do you see these actions happening in your team's workflow?

The above questions are why I suggested to map out your team's steps (inside and outside of Jira) to decide which parts can and cannot be automated.

Best regards,

Bill

Rafael Francisco Garabato Bonino June 16, 2021

Hello Bill,

Thank you for replying. Answers:

• Are you manually creating the versions before they are needed?
    • No, versions are created at the beginning of the year.
  • Are you manually creating the sprints before they are needed?
    • Yes, actually sprints are created at the beginning of the quarter.
  • Do you want the rule to just assign a value to fixVersion (or Sprint) based upon changes to one of the fields...or do you want the rule to create the version (or sprint)?
    • The rule would just assign the value of Version based on the value of the sprint when changed. 
  • When do you see these actions happening in your team's workflow?
    • The workflow is as this:
      1. We start the planning of the quarter and use fix version to define all the EPICS that are planned to be delivered for that quarter. For instance, the fix version for this quarter Epics would be PROJECT2021_Q2 
      2. We start planning the stories in sprints that we label as "PROJECT2021-Q2S1 Team", all the stories are also using the FixVersion PROJECT2021_Q2 to track the release.
      3. Once the quarter ends some stories in progress may be moved to a sprint for the next quarter "PROJECT2021-Q3S1 Team" or perhaps one story could not be even started during the current quarter, then we assign the sprint "PROJECT2021-Q3S1 Team" for the first time. 
      4. Then we need to move the story fixVersion to PROJECT2021_Q3 and then the Epic manually. This is what I am trying to automate if possible.

Thank you again,

Rafael

Rafael Francisco Garabato Bonino June 23, 2021

@Bill Sheboy, any guidance ?

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2021

Hi @Rafael Francisco Garabato Bonino 

As I initially noted, I believe you can do this with text functions and regular expression searches.  You probably will also need the list functions (to split values) and the Create Variable action for temp variables.

Your use case is unique for your needs, and I suggest trying to build this piece by piece, writing to the log file first rather than changing the version field in issues.  That will help you diagnose the steps.  Please refer to the documentation links I provided above to learn about the functions.

If you get stuck as you create the rule, please post and image of the rule and the audit log so the community can give targeted suggestions.

Best regards,

Bill

Rafael Francisco Garabato Bonino June 23, 2021

Thank you @Bill Sheboy !

Suggest an answer