How to 'automate' moving an issue from one board, to another boards backlog, based on issue status?

Chris Pickford December 7, 2021

Hi Community,

I hope someone is able to help with this...

I am trying to set up a project that has multiple boards, in order to better service the flow of work through our business.

In this set up the initial work is undertaken by our design team, for whom i have set up a kanban board (with a backlog), with all of the columns and associated statuses you may expect a design team to go through in the production of an asset. Their final column and status is 'Ready for development'.

I have then set up a development board (Scrum) with all of the columns and associated statuses you may expect a development team to go through.

I read within the community that if you have the same status in 2 columns that are in different boards; The issue will automatically 'map' across both. i.e. one board / team finishes their work in one board and sets the issue to a related status, and the issue then appears in the other teams board, in the column that has the same status mapped to it (In this case at the 'start of their board', effectively allowing them to pick the work up and take it forward...

And this works - So now when the design team moves an issue to 'ready for development' in their kanban board, The issue then appears in the 'To Do' column of the development board - However, instead of appearing in the 'To Do' column of the development board, I'd like the issue to appear in the development boards Backlog instead. (This is as further elicitation works are required etc... before we put an issue into 'To Do' which is an active column within a sprint.)

Its essentially this that I cant figure out how to do; as I can't 'Map' a status to a Backlog, within Board settings of the Development board, as there is no column for it.

--------------------------------------------------------

Furthermore - The second challenge that we're going to face, is that the design team service multiple development teams / disciplines. So i will need to set up further development team boards, within the same project that will do the same thing (albeit with unique statuses, I think?!?) - but I'm hoping that by solving the first problem above - I'll be able to figure this out at that point!

nb* - I have read articles around Jira workflows too:  but I'm not overly experienced on JIRA and these seem quite complex? But I'm obviously open to suggestion / giving it a go, if this is the 'standard solution' to our problem.

Many Thanks in advance for any responses and for taking the time to read through the above.

Best,

Chris

0 answers

Suggest an answer