How to autoassign issue to QA resource without removing developer from assignee?

Roy Mathew October 6, 2017

Here is the situation:

A, B and C are developers and they get tasks assigned to them

X is our QA. I added a post-function in workflow transition, so that whenever A,B, or C move their issues to "In Testing" status, it's automatically assigned to X.

That created an issue for task credits. Since X is autoassigned to all tasks that move to "In Testing" column, X is the assignee when those issues are finally resolved (Done) and moved to the "Done" column because I dont know how to reverse it back to the original assignee.

I would like to have a workflow where X get the notification when an issue is "In testing" column, but want to retail the assignee credit to A.B, or C. I dont see a post function to assign it back to the original assignee.

How to do that? I saw some posts about custom fields. But I dont know how to incorporate it.

Currently the workflow is:

Status:           ToDo->->InProgress->-(autoassign to X)->InTesting->->Done

Assignee(s)     A,B,C             A,B,C                                              X                X

What I would like to achieve is:

Status:           ToDo->->InProgress->-(autoassign ??)->InTesting->->Done

Assignee(s)     A,B,C             A,B,C                                       X/A,B,C       A,B,C

PS: I am not an IT technical person to understand codes or detailed technical stuff. A person in chemistry research field using Jira

3 answers

4 votes
Ethan Foulkes October 10, 2017

Hi Roy,

It sounds like you don't want both people assigned at same time so very doable.

You can do this using the Power Scripts add-on.

There is a video tutorial walking you through in detail here.

Code is simple:

Post Function 1:

string [] testers = usersInRole("TEST", "Product Development Tester");

assignee = testers[0];

Post Function 2:

string [] h = fieldHistory(key, "assignee");

string a;

if(isNotNull(h[1])) {
    a = h[1];
}
else {
    a = h[3];
}

assignee = a;

Hope this helps you!

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2017

The title on your question indicates you want to have 2 assignees. If that is the case, it can't be done. If you want to change it go with what @Michael Brown [Ascend] said

beenak October 11, 2017

Apologize for the confusion. No, I do not want to have 2 assignees at the same time. I just want the program to notify QA that now there are issues in the TESTING column without changing the original assignee.

joe.chlimoun@l3harris.com March 21, 2019

A year and a half has gone by, and I'm sure you've resolved this... but one solution that comes to mind is to either have a user picker custom field (or perhaps a fixed user if X is always the same person) and use SIL to send an email in a postfunction to notify QA.  (Assuming power scripts plugin is installed.)

0 votes
Michael Brown [Ascend] October 8, 2017

Good question Roy. It sounds like you want some advanced functionality in your workflow to occur. I recommend checking out JIRA Misc. Workflow Extensions, the app will allow you to do a lot of this:

• When the issue moves to "Done", you can set up a Post Function called "Assign to last role member" and assign the issue back to the original developer (or whomever you'd like).
  • You can set up an email rule, in JIRA Misc. Workflows its called "Email Issue", which will let you send an email directly to whomever will need to see an update.

Take a look and let me know your thoughts. I'm not trying to sell you on an add-on / app, I just think this is what you'll need because you want to execute these specific customized / advanced Post Functions. 

Suggest an answer