It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to assign jira issues to groups

How to assign jira issues to groups

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

Hi @Sam Taylor ,

Basically JIRA is designed so that issues must be assigned to individual users prevent tasks from being overlooked. A team lead or manager should assign issues out to individuals, or your users will pick from a list of issues that they have the option to take on.

However, if you want to configure JIRA to allow group membership then you can use custom field for group picker to identify the issue. Please refer below documentation on the same.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/how-do-i-assign-issues-to-multiple-users-207489749.html?_ga=2.6788850.13189330.1570538441-1940279406.1570033613#HowdoIassignissuestomultipleusers-ManagingIssuesviaGroupOwnership

Thanks,

Avinash

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt Community Leader Nov 27, 2019

you can't. Here is the workaround. I got the details from another post

Assigning issue to multiple users

First of all, I want to emphasize that this is not a good idea. To assign an issue to multiple users is always a bad idea and you should always avoid it if you can. This is because, it's against the nature of Jira itself and it creates a problem with accountability. If an issue has multiple assignees, than you can't probably know who is responsible and also who did the most work, so it messes up the performance statistics. 

But, if a customer wants something, they want something. All you can do is explain why this is a bad idea and convince them otherwise but still commit to the idea. We got this question from multiple customers so we decided to at least create a solution and this is what we did:

• Firstly, we create different mail groups/distribution lists for different teams. For example; we have a mail group called sales@examplecompany.com and all the people in sales team are in this mail group.
  • Second, we create a Jira userusing this mail address. Remove the user from the logon groups so it doesn’t count toward your license count.
  • Then we create a workflow that assigns certain issues to this user based on something. This something can change according to your workflow, it can be a custom field value or a text parsed from summary or group that the reporter is in. 
  • Then we create filterssuch as : "assignee = sales@examplecompany.com AND status = Not Assigned Yet". At this point we have different filters such as: Sales Issues, Marketing Issues, HR Issues etc. We also create dashboards with gadgets specific to the teams so that they can only be bothered with their own issues. You can also use queues if you use Service Desk.
  • We also set the notification scheme to send mail to the assignee when the issue is created.
  • Finally, all users look at the related filters or dashboards to their team and the user who first sees the issue assigns it to themselves.
Josh Mak I'm New Here Jul 22, 2020

After reading multiple posts about this I understand Jira does not allow for multiple users to be assigned to a single issue, and I understand why Jira thinks this is a bad idea. However, is there an option where I can assign the whole 11 man team to do the same task? For example, if I need everyone (all 11 members) to watch a training video and complete the online training, is there any option where I create this issue and assign it to a group then Jira turns that into 11 individual issue (with a group member assigned to each one), or do I always have to go in and do 11 different child issues (under a complete "XYZ Training" Epic)?

I want the ability to assign all 11 people without having to do 11 child issues each time. I have to assign the whole team the same tasks (like online training or to review a document) often. All the work arounds I have read require setting up group emails like you (@Joe Pitt) posted, but I would like the group issue to be turned into multiple individual issues so they appear in the board for each user. To the user it will seem like an individual issue, but its ten less steps for me to assign it to every member of the group. 

I agree with Josh.  I want to do exactly the same thing.

Joe Pitt Community Leader Jul 29, 2020

@Josh Mak @Joel Brotman If you read the posts you should realize you can not assign an issue to multiple users. Period, end of discussion. It has always been that way and people have been asking for multiple assignees since I started using JIRA since 2006. They aren't going to change. 

You can create a multiple user picker to select users but they will not be assigned to the issue. They can filter on issues where they are listed in the user picker. The issue will not appear in the 'assigned to me' built in filter. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you