How to assign half point (0,5) to a task?

Rodolfo Ferraz March 14, 2019

A few weeks ago I started to have problems assigning 0,5 (or 0.5) story points to a task/bug/story. I don't remember changing any settings that could cause this.

All my project colleagues are also facing the same problem. It happens on both projects I have in this account.

JIRA gives me a little tooltip with the text "validation failed" and the story points field exhibits a "warning icon".

On the image below I try to assign "0,5" but typing "0.5" gives the same result. The same goes for any other value ending with "half" - e.g. 1.5, 2.5, 3.5, 4.5, ...

I've discovered that I can assign this values when using Jira's Android app, but still can't do it through any browser.

image.png

4 answers

2 votes
Yousef Abusamak
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 27, 2019

Yes, we are tracking it as a bug.

bjorn.grob
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 5, 2020

What is the latest status of this bug?

Dennis April 20, 2020

This bug also exists when using the Dutch (Nederlands) language. 

Like Christian Langelaar likes this
Gabriel Lavertu
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 20, 2020

In french too. The issue goes away if I swtich my language to English (US) but comes back when I switch it back to french right after.

Илья Товкач December 4, 2020

In russian too.

Floris van Duin
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 16, 2020

This is still a bug? Any progress or estimation on release to fix?

Like André Matzke likes this
André Matzke June 1, 2021

hopefully international users (which are also paying customers) will be supported soon with proper functionality...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2021

Purely out of curiosity, what do you think an "internaltional user" is, as opposed to a non-international one?

1 vote
Paweł Albecki March 19, 2019

Hi,

What browser do you use? Does this problem occur also on other browsers?

Paweł

Rodolfo Ferraz March 26, 2019

I have this problem on Chrome 73.0.3683.75 64 bits (I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS). I've just tested it on Mozilla Firefox 65.0.1 (64-bit) and I face the same error.

I've discovered that on Jira's mobile app for android I'm able to assign half point to an activity. But still can't do it on the browser.

0 votes
Rodolfo Ferraz March 26, 2019

Problem "solved":

It was set to português (Brasil), and I changed it back to English (United States).

When your Jira is set to português (Brasil), it is impossible to assign any value ending with .5 or ,5. It is certainly a bug.

How do I register this as a bug to be solved by Jira's dev team? Thanks!

Like Rodolfo Ferraz likes this
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 14, 2019

Bit of a long-shot here, but I suspect your Jira is set up to use the more English decimal separator of . rather than the , often used in other places.

Quick test to confirm it - try entering 0.5 instead of 0,5 - if that works, you might want to ask your admins to flip the settings over.

Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2019

On my Atlassian instance (in a next-gen project) it seems like both . and , work. Jira simply translates the , to a . when saving. When editing that same field again, a , is shown.

Furthermore, my instance and profile are both set to English (US). But like Nic said I would check my language/country settings. Try setting it to English (US) and try again.

Hope this helps,

Maarten

Like Rodolfo Ferraz likes this
Rodolfo Ferraz March 18, 2019

Hello!

Thanks for your answers.

It always worked both ways for me (. and ,). But since it started to give me "validation failed" it doesn't work in any way.

As I stated at the end of my initial post:

On the image below I try to assign "0,5" but typing "0.5" gives the same result.

Suggest an answer