How to assign an issue to a Jira user based on an email address from an external system

YY哥
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2024

Hi,

I need to integrate Jira Cloud with an external system and then assign an issue to a user based on an email address. Steps are:

1.Use Jira automation to call a webhook to read a user's email address from an external system.

2.Assign the issue to Jira user with this address.

I don't know how to implement the step 2. May I know if anyone has any experience? 

Thanks,

YY哥

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Rebekka Heilmann _viadee_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2024

Hi @YY哥 

Assuming the email is identical to the one in Atlassian you can call the API to get the UserID by email. Once you got the ID you have the Account and can use that to assign it.

The Jira Cloud platform REST API (atlassian.com)

YY哥
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 27, 2024

Hi Rebekka,

That's what I'm looking for. Thanks for your help @Rebekka Heilmann _viadee_ 

1 vote
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 28, 2024

There's a great tutorial on how to use the API to lookup an account ID from an email address here:

Populate a user picker field from the description field

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events