How to assign an existing task to an epic

Chethana Hashani August 23, 2018

Hi all,

I need to assign an existing task to an epic (I have created the epic. But I am not aware of how to assign a previously created task to that epic). Could you please guide me on this :)

Cheers,

Hansi

5 answers

2 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Nir Haimov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2018

Hi @Chethana Hashani

Add the field "Epic Link" (system field) to the edit screen of your task

There you choose your epic and save.

That's it, your task is now linked to the epic

Grovnic July 3, 2019

how can I add the "Epic Link" to the edit screen of my task?
Please speak "chimpanzee" (step by step please!)

Like # people like this
Grovnic July 4, 2019

ok - figured it out:
1) go to your project main page (click on the name)

2) bottom left of your screen - click project settings (text with grey cog icon)

3) in project settings options select "Screens" (second section from the top)

4) in "screens" section to the right select "Task" Scheme (it's not intuitive - scheme is above the icon of the issue type) - it will bring "dropdown" with list of options and schemes

5) in operations section, for each "option" you can now select the scheme and add "Epic link" (type "Epic link Relationship")

tadaaam! it works for me and if I was able to do this (and, believe me,  I'm not the quickest  monkey in the jungle), you can do it as well

Like # people like this
Ebru
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 20, 2021

Hi, I face the same issue. And I can't see project settings. Why would this be?

Facundo Soler
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 24, 2022

Thank you @Grovnic 
You saved me

4 votes
Answer accepted
Asa Fisk
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 10, 2021

For anyone unable add an Epic Link field to Tasks:
(Depending on your setup, you may have a faster route to #3)

1. In the project settings, under Features, ensure the Issue Navigator is enabled
  2. In the project, select the Issues link the left menu
  3. Select the Epic you wish to add the existing task to
  4. At the top of the Child Issues, click the '+' to add a new child
  5. Rather than typing to create a new issue, click 'Choose an existing issue'
  6. Select the issue you'd like to add
Asa Fisk
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 2, 2021

Even better:

In the Backlog, at the top of the page, click the Epic dropdown and enable the 'Epic Panel'.

Then drag issues onto the epics.

Like # people like this
Nadia August 17, 2022

This 'Choose an existing issue' doesn't look to be available in Cloud, right?

Like # people like this
Kamrul January 24, 2023

This is so far the best solution. I couldn't find any other way to achieve it unless you are in the JIRA admin group. Thanks @Asa Fisk 

Eran Roiter November 12, 2023

I cant see this 'Choose an existing issue'

and I'm the admin, what am I missing ?

3 votes
Crystal_O_Mara
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 28, 2020

The way I found it was on the ticket page click "edit" then click "Configure Fields" and then check the "Epic Link" checkbox

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 6.22.33 PM.png

Kim Wallace December 2, 2021

Thank you @Crystal_O_Mara !

1 vote
Matthías Pétursson December 1, 2022

I had to open an existing issue, and hidden in the top left corner was an edit button "Add epic".

1 vote
Ray Doue
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 23, 2022

Hi all, I'm using the most recent cloud unpaid version and was experiencing the same problem.  Now it appears that one can add an existing issue (task?) to an epic by opening the existing issue, looking around the top of the task window, and selecting the Add Epic (sort of a button), selecting the drop-down, then selecting the desired Epic.  There does not appear to be any confirm or Save action required, which is somewhat confusing to me, but it appears to work.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events