How to assign an Issue from a different JIRA project to a Story?

Andreas Möbs April 23, 2013

Assume you have two projects in a Scrum Board: Project A using JIRA Development Workflow and Project B using GreenHopper Simplified Workflow.

Is it possible to assign an existing issue from Project A to a Story defined in Project B?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Benjamin Horst
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2013

I am not sure what you mean with "assign".

If I understood your question correctly, the Jira feature of "issue linking" should do the trick.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Linking+Issues

Along with some scripting magic you can even change status of all linked Issues if your "parent" issue changes.

Sorry for being so imprecise.

I want to see the issue form Project A in the Planning View of the Scrum board in the same swimlane as any other Sub-Tasks in Project B which belong to a story in Project B.

Linking the issue from Project A to the Story in Project B doesn't do the job.

Benjamin Horst
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2013

I can't think of a working solution on that one, unless you define the swimline to include the issuetype. But that's probably not what you want.

As far as I have tested I couldn't even move between swimlanes in the same project.

Thanks, Benjamin...I fear you're right. Basically, the sub-task's property, that identifies the Story it belongs to (which in turn defines the siwmlane) is not transparent to the User. However, I'll try to circumvent that by defining swimlanes by means of JQL...let's see...I assume the Story -> Sub-Task grouping Swimlane definition is some sort of JQL as well.

Benjamin Horst
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 24, 2013

you can use something like:

(project = "ProjectA" AND issuetype = Sub-Task) OR (project= "ProjectB" AND issuetype = Sub-Task)

as JQL for your swimlane

Suggest an answer