It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to assign a issues to two assignee?

I want to assign two people for one issue.

12 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Paul Greig Atlassian Team Jul 22, 2013

Hi Yoon,

There are a few solutions for allowing multiple assignees to issues.

1. Create a Queue - Set default assignee as 'Unassigned' and create a dashboard with a filter on all 'unassigned' issues. Users can then select issues from the queue
  2. Using Sub-Tasks - From the initial issue you can create sub-tasks and have these assigned to each user
  3. General User Account - Create a new user account, let's say 'team a', to represent the team you would like to work on issues together. Once created you could assign the account, 'team a', to the issue.

There is also a great article available here on a similar topic with some additional examples:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/How+do+I+assign+issues+to+multiple+users

Cheers,

Paul

Wow Jira is so complicated! It has so little to do with Scrum! :((( Why don't you guys add features to the greenhopper plugin like multiple users on one task?

Assignee could be split into 2 fields as a core Jira feature:  Lead assignee and current assignee.  That way the person responsible is always Lead assignee but the current assignee could be e.g. 5 people at different stages of the ticket.  

To make this more than just a custom field, each of the 2 fields should have Jira native support in reporting and backlog summaries so that workload can also be balanced.  

Any reasons this is not a good suggestion?  

If there's a better way to indicate Lead assignee for a ticket, a related button could send the ticket back to the lead assignee without having to look up and deduce that from the history, ask around who it was, or send back to the wrong person by mistake. 

Actually, the "User Picker (single user)" custom field is perfect for indicating a Lead developer. 

(You could technically also use a "User Picker (multiple users)" custom field for tracking multiple contributors to a ticket, but caution is advised.)

4 votes

We understand that Atlassian has provided a bunch of "workarounds" for this missing ability.  And that's just what they are, "workarounds" until multiple assignees are supported.  Unless some other tool has a patent on the concept that prevents Atlassian from implementing it. 

Also, there's a difference between responsibility and accountability.  I'd argue that RACI clarifies this and puts forth that Accountability is singular, while Responsibility can be held plurally.  And especially in our Agile worlds of collaboration and pairing or swarming. 

Must we really continue to have to leverage those "workarounds" or clone sub-tasks to map to multiple team members?    Is this one a feature list to vote up somewhere?  Or just constantly closed for comments (not this one yet...)?

2 votes
Joe Pitt Community Leader Nov 19, 2013

Someone is always ultimately responsible for an issue even if a team is working it and that should be the assignee.

How do you let them both log time on it?

To really be honest I have never had this issue of not knowing who was responsable for what. Even if 2 people had the same task assigned to them.There is usally a lead that assumes the respnsability and has better knowledge of the task even if it branches off to several other people.

Therefore I would like this feature added in Jira Agile! :)

--------------------------------

Yes but how do I track the the time that those 2 or 3 people spent on the same task? I duplicate the task right?

No, let them both log time on it. Doesn't matter if it only has one assignee.

(And I agree with Joe - it's actually critical that an issue has a single responsible person. Think of the basics: "It went bang, who do I shout at?". With more than one assignee, people start ducking. And you get "I thought X was working on it". You have to be clear that it's a single person)

Like Cimon Cumming likes this

This was an issue raised on 2013. If Atlassian does not want to solve this, they are either deaf or just do not understand how work happens in the real world... Sorry guys but as much I would like to like you guys, Jira is terrible to work with...

There is nothing to "solve" - assignee is a single person by design, for the reasons discussed above.  If you need to include other users, use custom fields to do it (also discussed above)

so obnoxious in your answers Nic .. No, wether you like it or not, there are use cases where we need multiple assignees on a task (case in point, so many people are asking for it), not everyone is a developer, we use it for marketing with checklists and multiple people need to be able to see it on their board.

Like # people like this

I get grumpy when people ignore what has gone before.  Your statement is, as shown above, wrong.  Please don't be rude to people who are trying to show you where you are wrong.

1 vote
Joe Pitt Community Leader Oct 04, 2019

This is the design of JIRA. I don't see them ever changing it. I've been working with JIRA since 2006 and people were complaining about it then. Frankly if this is so painful an issue you should pick another tool.

May be you can other use as an watcher

i dont thing it is posiible to assigne one task to multiple user but work around you can do this

check the this document

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/How+do+I+assign+issues+to+multiple+users

some more help you can get from here

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/129295/assign-a-task-to-multiple-assignees

some onle already issue raised with atlassian here

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-1397

Absolutely right, the assignee is a single user field and you simply can NOT assign an issue to more than one person.

This is by design and the request to "fix" it is rightly closed. The other two links Rambanam gives you are pretty much the best ways to indicate you've got more than one person with current responsibility for an issue.

Continue... with Paul answer

4. Multi User Picker as Multiple Assignee custom field or custom field "group picker".

Regards
Onkar Ahire

We can create "Secondary Assignee" custom field and add another user to that.

Also, configure workflow post conditions to send notifications for the user in "Secondary Assignee" field.

Even though it is not the perfect answer you might be looking for, but if you have ScriptRunner or Automation for JIRA plugin, there are a lot of features you can do with this.

Thanks,

Aswin

Truthfully if you are a "pair programmer" type of shop, you need to be able to assign both people to the issue and they should both have it on their board, record their comments and their time. Esp when dealing with branches (from bitbucket integration). It is a real hassle to have to set up a "team" of every pair programming team you have to assign to an issue. How have others worked this?  Any plugins? 

Agree Elena Ashley,   And nearly every other tool allows you to have multiple assignees and multiple owners...the reason...agile teams...scrum teams have a montra - no one is done all are done...and stories as a construct are complete Design build  test cycles with multiple contributors; therefore,  multiple team members could be assigned to a Feature, or a Story or even a task due the Agile XP practices where two or more people pair up on the task...All of these are good reasons to add this feature... other tools allow this and have for years...

So have you ever worked in a place that uses software that allows multiple assignees?  If you have, you will have seen a lot of "I thought someone else was working on it".  Which is, of course, a complete failure.

Like Joe Pitt likes this
Joe Pitt Community Leader Oct 05, 2019

Instead of beating your head against the wall pick one of the workarounds listed in previous posts. It is easy to add a custom user picker field that allows multiple users. Or switch tools. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Jira

The add-in you’ve been waiting for: Jira Cloud for Excel 🙌

Introducing Jira Cloud for Excel Here at the product integrations team at Atlassian, we are thrilled to announce the new Jira Cloud for Excel add-in! This add-in lets you export Jira data directly ...

933 views 8 25
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you