How to assign a issues to two assignee?

I want to assign two people for one issue.

6 answers

1 accepted

Hi Yoon,

There are a few solutions for allowing multiple assignees to issues.

1. Create a Queue - Set default assignee as 'Unassigned' and create a dashboard with a filter on all 'unassigned' issues. Users can then select issues from the queue
  2. Using Sub-Tasks - From the initial issue you can create sub-tasks and have these assigned to each user
  3. General User Account - Create a new user account, let's say 'team a', to represent the team you would like to work on issues together. Once created you could assign the account, 'team a', to the issue.

There is also a great article available here on a similar topic with some additional examples:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/How+do+I+assign+issues+to+multiple+users

Cheers,

Paul

2 votes
Joe Pitt Community Champion Nov 19, 2013

Someone is always ultimately responsible for an issue even if a team is working it and that should be the assignee.

How do you let them both log time on it?

To really be honest I have never had this issue of not knowing who was responsable for what. Even if 2 people had the same task assigned to them.There is usally a lead that assumes the respnsability and has better knowledge of the task even if it branches off to several other people.

Therefore I would like this feature added in Jira Agile! :)

--------------------------------

Yes but how do I track the the time that those 2 or 3 people spent on the same task? I duplicate the task right?

No, let them both log time on it. Doesn't matter if it only has one assignee.

(And I agree with Joe - it's actually critical that an issue has a single responsible person. Think of the basics: "It went bang, who do I shout at?". With more than one assignee, people start ducking. And you get "I thought X was working on it". You have to be clear that it's a single person)

Wow Jira is so complicated! It has so little to do with Scrum! :((( Why don't you guys add features to the greenhopper plugin like multiple users on one task?

May be you can other use as an watcher

i dont thing it is posiible to assigne one task to multiple user but work around you can do this

check the this document

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/How+do+I+assign+issues+to+multiple+users

some more help you can get from here

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/129295/assign-a-task-to-multiple-assignees

some onle already issue raised with atlassian here

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-1397

Absolutely right, the assignee is a single user field and you simply can NOT assign an issue to more than one person.

This is by design and the request to "fix" it is rightly closed. The other two links Rambanam gives you are pretty much the best ways to indicate you've got more than one person with current responsibility for an issue.

Continue... with Paul answer

4. Multi User Picker as Multiple Assignee custom field or custom field "group picker".

Regards
Onkar Ahire

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,011 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot