How to archive a project or mark it as done

herbspro September 19, 2019

Hi, I have created process control project in JIRA and once am done with a project I want to mark it as done or archive but am unable to do it.

I look into the community and followed steps but in projects at the right corner, it is not showing me archive option.

3 answers

4 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2019

You cannot truly archive a project unless you have Datacenter. The work around(s) can be found by searching the Community. Here are the results from my search.

Basically what I do:

• create a new permission scheme and call it “Archive” that removes all access for anyone but the Jira Admin that has browse only, or whatever you like. Apply this permission scheme to the project replacing the current scheme.
  • create a project category called Archived and set this as the project category for the project so it shows as Archived in the list of projects.
1 vote
Aaron Williams
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2019

Hello, there is no out of box "Archive" function, but we solved this by creating schemes to suit our definition of "Archived" and switch the project over to these when we no longer need to use it but have to keep a record of it.

If you look at the "Summary" tab in the Project Settings you can get a good idea of what you'll need to create a scheme for, but some of my tips are as follows:

• Create a workflow with a single "Archived" status; if you have any project-specific status you could now remove them if they're no longer in use.
  • Create a permissions scheme with no rights to any function, except "view" if required for any stakeholders; this will hide the project from all and at the very least stop people using it.
  • Deleting any boards associated to the project, as these are generally not useful anymore.

You can get further information here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/creating-editing-deleting-and-hiding-projects-844500729.html

0 votes
Sloan N_ B_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2019

Jack and Aaron gave already the good examples!

As addition here is the documentation (for server, but it is pretty much applicable for Cloud too): https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/archiving-a-project-in-jira-server-950287459.html

There is also the possibility to offline-archive projects by exporting the issues or the whole jira, and then removing the contents from Jira.

Suggest an answer