How to allow regular users to add a field to an issue

Frederic Mercille July 22, 2014

I created a custom field named "Escalation" that is of type "Labels", and I have added it to the Default screen as an optional field with no default value.

When an issue is created and the reporter adds a label in that field, any user that can edit the issue can edit the labels in that custom field. So if one label is included by the reporter, additional labels can be added by users.

Two weird situations arise from that:

1) If the reporter omits to include a label when creating the issue, or if he is made aware that such a label should have been used after the issue is created, she can't add the first label because the custom field does not show up in the view issue screen, and she doesn't have admin privileges to add a field.

2) If a user accidentally removes the last label in the custom field, the field disappears from the issue, and she can't correct her mistake because she doesn't have admin privileges to add a field.

As it stands, a non-admin user can add any number of labels to a custom field as long as there is always at least one label present, but he cannot add the very first label. How can I allow my users to add the first label in a custom field without giving them admin privileges?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2014

There's a significant difference between "adding a field" and "adding a label or other custom field value".

You don't mean "they need admin permission to add a field", you really mean that the user can't use quick edit.

1. Actually, they can. Click edit, you will be offered all fields on the edit screen, whether they have data or not.

2. As per 1. Click edit.

There's no reason to give anyone admin rights here, you are NOT "adding fields", you're updating the content of fileds, for which, you just need "edit" permission. I'm not even sure why you're thinking they need admin!

Frederic Mercille July 22, 2014

Ah ha! You are right that I meant the user can't quick-edit. I didn't think about "slow" edit because we usually always quick edit what we need. I think we'll need to slow-edit that one since custom fields don't appear when they're empty. Thanks.

Suggest an answer