How to allow any user to submit a ticket/request against your application

Wendi Sugarman November 7, 2013

My team currently has a project in JIRA. We'd like for any user outside of our team to submit a ticket (bug, request, etc) against our application, but we don't want these external users to see everything else within our project.

Is there some way to "carve out a piece" of our project that only these users have access to? Or, perhaps, some other way to achieve this capability within our current project?

Or, do we have to create a whole separate project in order to do this?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2013

Hi Wendi,

You have options.

1. Use the JIRA Issue Collector for a web front end that will just collect values supplied and create issues (one way delivery).

2. Use email with no JIRA account holders at all, with JEMH to provide round trip notifications and some extras.

3. Use a combination of the Project Permissions and Issue Security configuration referred above, and either a bundled mail handler or JEMH. Users with JIRA accounts, without the right to login interactively can interact with JIRA through email, they can create issues, get updates, and JIRA security still applies, so the issue security scheme references above can still apply.

Wendi Sugarman November 13, 2013

Thank you. This provides a nice, concise description of the options. Unfortunately, I will not be able to try them until my co-worker, who has admin privilege, returns to work and either gives me admin or can try it out himself.

0 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2013

Hi

You need to use issue security scheme to fulfil your needs.

Create a security scheme with levels - Visible to All and Internal Only.

Aply this scheme to your project and make all existing issues internal only.

Make sure everyone in your company has access to Visible to All and only your team has access to Internal only.

Now when another team member tries to raise an issue in your project, he will only get the option - Visible to All to select from. He wont see the option Internal Only.

Hope this helps.

rahul

Wendi Sugarman November 11, 2013

Thank you. This sounds like the way to go. I have one follow-on question, though.

Would the 'visible to all' security level require the user to have a JIRA account? There are too many people in my company to issue everyone an account.

Thanks.

0 votes
rambabu patina
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 7, 2013
Hi sugarman, In current project we can manage in permission schema to view or any particular operation in the project. If you want separate project that is also fine we can manage in the sameway. Regards, Patina
Wendi Sugarman November 7, 2013

I found an answer to another question that gives a specific reference to the documentation for managing permissions, https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Permissions

Since my customer only has JIRA 5.0.2, I found the following documentation reference for this older version, https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA050/Managing+Project+Permissions

rambabu patina
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 8, 2013

Feel free to answer/upvote if it helps you

Thanks,

Patina

Suggest an answer