How to allow anonymous users to create only particular issue type?

I have an issue type for a particular JIRA project named Public inquiry. There are other issue types but I want the anonymous users to be able to create only Public inquiry issue types and nothing else. How can I do that?

4 answers

Hi David

You could try using an issue collector, there is no other way to limit access to certain issue types in a project.

Some more information about issue collectors can be found here : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Using+the+Issue+Collector

Best regards,

Peter

another way is by creating a project with only one issuetype and by adding the Anyone group to the Browse Project and Create Issue permissions in the permission scheme for the project

check this it will help you

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Allowing+users+to+create+issues+anonymously

Which is useless, because creating issues apparently requires a reporter, even if you remove the field from the screen.

No, you've made reporter mandatory (that is the default of course). You can make it optional - check the field configurations

Which is disturbingly difficult to find. Thanks for the tip.

0 votes

You can't, technically. Jira allows anyone with "Create" to create any issue type.

There are workarounds of course. Writing or scripting a quick validator to check and reject entries based on issue type is one approach. Another one I've used in the past is a kludge with a bad error message, but avoids coding - remove the due-date from the "create" screen for all issue types except "public inquiry", give "schedule" permission to logged in users only, and then make it mandatory. Anonymous users will get an ugly error message, but won't be able to create anything other than that issue type. I only did that while waiting for developers to give me a validator that works.

You can also play tricks with javascript, but they are quite easy to bypass if someone is determined to do so.

0 votes

You can't, technically. Jira allows anyone with "Create" to create any issue type.

There are workarounds of course. Writing or scripting a quick validator to check and reject entries based on issue type is one approach. Another one I've used in the past is a kludge with a bad error message, but avoids coding - remove the due-date from the "create" screen for all issue types except "public inquiry", give "schedule" permission to logged in users only, and then make it mandatory. Anonymous users will get an ugly error message, but won't be able to create anything other than that issue type. I only did that while waiting for developers to give me a validator that works.

You can also play tricks with javascript, but they are quite easy to bypass if someone is determined to do so.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 18, 2018 in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

26,906 views 2 7
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you