How to allow an external user (client) access to only a few functions in Jira

Kamila Sikora October 24, 2019

Hi all,

I would like to share my jira board with client, i need to know how to configurate it. I want to allow the external user to :

*boosting backlog (adding new tasks, stories etc)

*changing issues status

*assigning issues to relevant people

The client can't:

* Start the sprint 

*add new epic/label

*see another jira users

*create new project board

*drag issues from backlog to the sprint

*change settings 

*see another project with no invitation

Thank you for help 

1 answer

0 votes
David Willox October 24, 2019

Hi Kamila,

You should be able to get this done with the help of the Permission Scheme assigned to the project in question. This requires a couple of things though.

1. Each of your projects must have a separate permission scheme, that way the "Browse Project" permission will only apply to the project you want them to see.
  2. The Client users must be in either a distinct, separate role from the rest of your users or alternatively a distinct and separate user group. Either one will work. I personally use groups as our clients have many different distinct teams and approval levels within their organisation and these can then be assigned more layers of permissions throughout the project.

If clients are assigned to either a specific role that is unique or to a unique group you can then grant permissions to view only that specific project, create issues and transition issues, assign issues and in turn be an assignable user. You simply leave all the other categories in the scheme un-selected and they cannot perform any of the other functions in JIRA. As I said earlier, so long as your permission scheme is tied to only the project that you want them to see then all other projects will be invisible to them.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm happy to go into further detail or think over a different angle if you're considering it.

Thanks,

David

Suggest an answer