How to add regex validator in Jira Cloud?

Kartik Pant May 2, 2022

Since Regex validator is not present in Jira Cloud, is there any workaround to implement it in cloud?

2 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Anzar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2022

Hi Kartik,

The regex validator is present in Jira Cloud as a built-in feature.

You can check 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/using-workflow-regular-expression-check-validator-to-restrict-text-field-in-number-format-859509784.html

Regards,

Anzar Khan

Kartik Pant May 2, 2022

"Regex Validator- This validator enables to match a custom field value by regex."

This is the exact validator that we want in cloud. Is this available or is there any workaround ?

Like Anzar likes this
Oliver Siebenmarck _Polymetis Apps_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2022

Hi @Kartik Pant ,

Yes, as @Anzar said, that exact validator is available in every Jira Cloud instance.

Best regards,
 Oliver

Like # people like this
Anzar
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2022

Hi Kartik,

If this answers your question, Can you accept the answer so the community can also get help from the same.

Thanks Oliver for adding value. Appreciated.

Regards,

Anzar

Like Kartik Pant likes this
2 votes
Answer accepted
Oliver Siebenmarck _Polymetis Apps_
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2022

Hi @Kartik Pant ,

Welcome to the community!

Just adding to @Anzar's correct answer here… There is indeed a regex validator available, but there is no such condition built-in.

What I typically recommend admins migrating from server is to look at one of the many Workflow Apps available on the marketplace, because virtually all of them support Jira Expressions.

In short, Jira Expressions allow you to write a complex condition or validator using simple, concise statements such as: 

// Has the current user added a comment to the issue?
issue
.comments
.filter(c => c.author.accountId == user.accountId)
.length > 0

Jira Expression can do an amazing amount of things, just check the reference

I'll end my rave about this feature with a recommendation for my favorite workflow app, Cloud Workflows, but it's a biased recommendation as I was heavily involved in the development. 

Anyway, hope that helps, Jira Expressions are awesome!

Cheers,
 Oliver

Suggest an answer