How to add original estimate field to all projects and issue types for existing and new issues

Casper Rubæk April 1, 2024

I have some 50+ projects and 1500+ open issues that i want to add an original estimate field to. How can I do this in bulk with least manual hassle? 

I have tried enabling time tracking for each project and adding the original estimate field to all the screens that are used for each project and issue type but it is only a subset of my project issues that end up getting the field and thus I have to add it manually on each project issue type (3 in total per project) in order for it to be available in those issues.

I have both a range of team and company managed templated projects.

Is there a better way of doing this?

When I have this field in place I will field it out and do sums on the amount of hours I need to complete specific tasks from JQL search, such that I do some more extensive planning.

1 answer

2 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2024

Hi @Casper Rubæk 

Adding it to the Screen (Company-managed) or Issue Type (Team-managed) should make the field visible and usable.

But via the GUI you do need to add it to each Screen/Issue Type individually, there's no bulk option for system fields as far as I know.

Ste

Thanks how can I precisely do this?
And can it also be done using automation or API?

Like LynnG likes this
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2024

Hi @Casper Rubæk 

Aren't you doing that now, based on what you stated in your question?

---

Company-managed:

1. Go to Settings > Issues
  2. From the left-hand menu, select Screens
  3. Open each Screen
  4. Add the field using the Select Field drop-down at the bottom of the page

---

Team-managed:

1. Go to each Project
  2. Select Project settings from the left-hand Project sidebar
  3. Next, select Issue types from the left-hand menu
  4. Locate the Original Estimate field using the "search all fields" box
  5. Either drag/drop it in, or simply "click" the field for it to be added

---

A few suggestions...

• Open multiple screens at a time, and tab across them. I find this is quicker and more efficient than opening each screen and taking action individually.
  • For Company-managed, check if you can consolidate Screens together, to make this easier in future. IE if you have 20+ Screens and they're all the same, you could also just have one Screen.

Ste

Like Casper Rubæk likes this

Thanks yes this is how I have been doing it so far. Though for screens I can see some of them I cant add the Original Estimate field to :(

Like LynnG likes this
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 1, 2024

Are they Company-managed?

If yes, the field is part of the group of fields called "Time Tracking" for those Screens. That should be available in the select field's drop-down (assuming it's not already on the Screen)

Ste

Like # people like this

Do I need to enable time tracking somewhere as well?

Like LynnG likes this
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 1, 2024

Hi @Casper Rubæk 

There isn't a method to "disable" time tracking in Cloud, so it should be on natively.

You might also want to activate/change the estimation option within Team-managed Projects - which states...

Use minutes, hours, and days to estimate effort. The original estimate field is automatically added to issues when first enabled. Configure your fields manually after that.

This is a per-Project setting; to change this...

1. Go to Project Settings > Features (left-hand menu)
  2. Locate Estimation in the list
  3. Ensure it's active - and then, select Time using the radio buttons

Ste

Like Casper Rubæk likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events