How to add new swimlane in the next-gen project?

Lalita Bang December 14, 2018

Hi,

I can see there are different columns in the next-gen project for swimlanes. I want to add new swimlane in the project but don't want an extra column for it on the board. Can someone tell me how to add extra swimlane but not a column on the board?

19 answers

10 accepted

25 votes
Answer accepted
Tim McGrath April 11, 2019

It would be great to see this feature added to Next Gen.

Like # people like this
Marc Williams July 21, 2020

Follow the link Joe has posted above to vote for this update request

Like Toni Greensides likes this
9 votes
Answer accepted
Ben Ross August 27, 2019

Atlassian has ruined what otherwise would be a great new version by taking away a really valuable level of functionality. When we have cross team initiatives, I wanted swimlanes to represent which team is currently responsible. Avoiding WIP and making this more self serve and obvious, where in the flow it is would be useful

Like # people like this
6 votes
Answer accepted
brad.shantz October 30, 2019

Not having swimlanes is a full stop for us using Jira Next-Gen. 

6 votes
Answer accepted
david.cruz June 24, 2019

I agree, swimlanes are just great to manage a lot of tasks. Please add it.

6 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2018

Hello,

You can not add swimlanes in next-gen projects.

5 votes
Answer accepted
mshelley November 4, 2019

Agree.  Having swimlanes is one reason I advocated for Jira vs. a Trello board.  Would love to see this functionality added back in for Next Gen.

5 votes
Answer accepted
RockLobster7 August 28, 2019

I cannot believe how much fundamental functionality is missing from the Next Gen. Swimlanes were a staple in the old JIRA.

4 votes
Answer accepted
Cole Carter April 24, 2019

Would love to see this feature added to next-gen projects.

2 votes
Answer accepted
Qu3ntin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2018

Hello,

You have access to only 2 pre-configured swimlanes (upper right of the board):

• By epic
  • By  Assignee

However you can still create a board with a filter on your Next gen project.

The workaround would be to create an empty project to hold this board.

Kristof Muhi November 10, 2022

This is a great workaround/hack idea. 

I have created some dummy epics and using them as swimlanes for a super lightweight nextgen project we are working with.

Thanks a lot! 

1 vote
Answer accepted
cwinfree April 23, 2019

Agree, need a way of adding an expediter lane. 

3 votes
Oliviu L_Ghenciu January 21, 2020

In the top left corner, "Group by..." gives you the ability to divide the kanban view in swimlane like rows, according to Assignee, Epic, Subtask. 

I used swimlanes for different production layers, independent on the Epic or Subtask. These layers in my case were across all Sprints and not a parent task or an epic. But then I was not using Epics to much. 

Once forced to use Epics more often due to next-gen I ended up making use of the Roadmap feature as well. Previously I was using a 3rd party for Gantt charting.

I guess Atlassian is forcing us here in an updated management workflow, rather than a workaround. Though annoying, somehow the benefits emerge slowly.

2 votes
Colin Pal December 15, 2019

It is absolutely ludicrous that next gen does not have the ability to create swimlanes :|

1 vote
David Benoit July 13, 2020

Next-Gen does not have swimlanes. or any board settings for that matter. This is causing our team problems. The community has advocated for for over a year but it doesn't seem to be a high priority. 

1 vote
Andrew Waters May 8, 2020

Please add swimlanes! I want to place stories in a lane for each squad on our team rather than one large bucket of work. Group by Assignee, Epic, & Subtask does not solve this at all!

1 vote
Mark Goverde April 17, 2020

Please add swimlanes feature on kanban board.

1 vote
Bob Kosse December 31, 2019

You can use swimlanes by grouping on 'Subtasks' in the board view. That will give you the same layout as in the good ol' days!

Matthew Lemens January 14, 2020

That is nice, but you can't see the parent title when you group by subtasks.

Like Ryan.Perry likes this
0 votes
Kevin Foad March 3, 2022

Swimlanes, even basic ones based on a field, would really help arrange complicated projects with multiple validation steps - by being able to stack parallel or alternative flows. Simplifying process is a great thing to advocate, but life isn't always that simple.

e.g. 'Make a cup of tea' - you may want to capture, but not provide an explicit column, for each of 'add milk' 'add sugar' 'add sweetener' 'add lemon' 'add brown sugar' - It would be much better to have just two columns called 'sweeten' and 'milk or cream?' with the specific routes swimlaned out.

0 votes
Nick van der Net January 3, 2021

This is done now. I can add swimlanes on NextGen projects.

glenn connolly February 17, 2021

Hi! Can you please share how you have added them? I'm hoping to add custom swimlanes.

0 votes
Adriano Fialho November 27, 2019

Please add swimlanes feature on kanban board. They are just great to manage a lot of tasks and priorities. Please add it.

Suggest an answer