How to add custom attributes to a project?

Inna S August 7, 2022

Hi,

we have a need to attach additional information to the projects, like project mailing list or target clone versions for bugs or managing VP name.

In our old system the project is an object and we had several custom fields for this purpose. The values in these fields are then accessible via GUI and via API for subsequent use in automations. They are also available for modification by the project owner / administrator and do not require the tool admin to perform any operation.

I understand that in Jira, the project is not a first class object and I do not find any way to add the custom attributes.

With that, I see at least one marketplace application that is said to provide the custom fields for projects, among the other features. So I wonder what's going on and if we can still add the custom fields somehow without paying for yet another 3rd-party app.

We have a similar problem with the Versions, where we currently have a couple of custom field, but no way to create them in Jira.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Inna

1 answer

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Tansu Akdeniz
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 7, 2022

Hi @Inna S 

There is no way to associate fields to the projects without an add-on. I successfully used Projectrak add-on before. But, as you said, it is a paid solution.

Another way could be the creation of a Jira project which contains project cards as an issuetype. Then, each project will have one issue with desired fields.

Inna S August 7, 2022

@Tansu Akdeniz , that looks like a brilliant workaround. 

Will definitely try this!

[Why there are no custom fields on Projects is beyond me]. 

Like Deleted user likes this
Christoph Päper August 9, 2023

It seems like there are also free options available, e.g. Project Properties App.

Like Deleted user likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events