How to add background color to drop-down list items of multi select custom field ?

Sushmitha February 21, 2023

We have a custom dropdown field of type 'Select List (Multiple choice)' having some options. I want to highlight one option with background color. It should reflect both in dropdown and issue created.

I have come across one solution that is, we need to set option with a span and class set to aui-lozenge aui-lozenge-success/error/current, etc. As given here https://aui.atlassian.com/aui/7.9/docs/lozenges.html

But when we use that value in JQL filter we have to use it along with span tag.

1 . Do we have any way to get plain text in this case ?

I know that there is following plugin 

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1216682/custom-fields-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=overview

But we don't want to create new field or change the type of that existing custom field. We are only concerned with modifying the option of existing field.

2 . Is there any other plugin that can help me ?

3 . Is there any script or other way that I can achieve this ? 

Please let me know if it's possible. Thank you in advance. 

1 answer

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 21, 2023

Hi @Sushmitha

I'm not aware of an app that would solve your *exact* problem, but I think you could get pretty close using the app that my team is working on, JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. It also comes with a number of advanced features, including support for conditional formatting. 

With conditional formatting, you can color your issue - either the entire row, or single fields/cells - depending on whether certain conditions are fulfilled or not. With this, you can easily model a colored dropdown field, like so:

coloured-dropdown.gif

It's worth noting that this coloring is only visible in JXL - e.g. you won't see it in the issue details, or other Jira views. This being said, you should be able to do most if not all of your issue work within JXL.

Since you've tagged your question for Jira Server: You may have heard that Server apps are no longer available via the Atlassian Marketplace. Are you planning to move to Data Center or Cloud in the foreseeable future? I'd strongly recommend that. In any case, JXL is perfectly compatible with Jira Server, too; it's just that we need to generate a license for you. If the above looks interesting, just let me know, and we'll happily start a free trial.

Hope this is helpful,

Best,

Hannes

Suggest an answer