How to add an issue type to the (buggy?) default issue type scheme although it already exists elsewhere?

HW May 29, 2014

Hi there,

when I tried to move an issue from one project to another keeping the issue type (type 'bug'), it gives me an error. Just like reported earlier here:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/55256/invalid-issue-type-error-recieved-when-trying-to-move-an-issue-bug-from-one-project-to-another-why

Now I learned the origin of that error is that the issue type i am trying to move does not exist in the default issue type scheme. Which isn't supposed to happen since the default scheme is the global issue type list which contains all the issues that have been created.

I can't simply add the issue type to get it into that list, because it already exists in some of my other schemes (Error: An issue type of that name already exists.) And since the issue type is in use already, deleting and re-adding it wouldn't be my first choice. Are there any alternatives to just add it silently to the default (say: "repair" the default issue type scheme so it contains all the types again)?

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Hendrik

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 29, 2014

Ah. The design flaw of "default has to contain all issue types" has been fixed in recent versions of Jira.

So you should be able to simply add the Bug back into the default scheme, just like any other scheme.

HW June 1, 2014

Hey Nic,

thanks for the answer. We're running Jira 6.2.3, not sure if that is the latest version. Unfortunately, I don't find how to add the issues to the default scheme since there are no buttons etc. like those for custom schemes.

Did I get you wrong or is my default scheme just messed up?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2014

Bother, yes, I've been working with 6.3 a lot recently. I've just checked a 6.2 and you can't modify the default scheme in there, so yes, you definitely have a broken scheme.

I think you need https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Issue+Types+Missing+from+the+Default+Issue+Type+Scheme- I've seen this break when doing upgrades, but that was a while ago, and I had the option of deleting the issue type. I'm not sure how else to reproduce the problem, but I can see you've run into it.

HW June 4, 2014

Okay, now - thanks to Nic Brough I got it fixed now. Nic, it was exactly as you described and your linked help page provided the solution.

So, if you use Jira 6.2.x and can't move issues because they are not listed in your default issue type scheme, you have to add them to your database manually (download version only, I assume).

Nic's tip was again: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Issue+Types+Missing+from+the+Default+Issue+Type+Scheme

You need access to the Jira database (on file-system level) and better know what you are doing. If you know SQL, it's a piece of cake. After adding those issues to the right database and restarting jira (!), all runs fine again.

Thanks Nic.

Closed.

5 votes
Megan Chinburg April 13, 2017

I am running Jira Cloud and am experiencing this exact issue. Original issue types were somehow removed from the Default issue type scheme and there is no way to add them back, the buttons do not exist.  

As I am on Cloud an there is no DB access, how does one reset the Default Issue Type Scheme?

Harald Conradi May 28, 2018

I'm having the same issue. I don't see an option to add issue types back to the global default Issue Type Scheme.

Screen Shot 2018-05-28 at 10.14.54 AM.png

Like Kerstyn Comley likes this
Anthony Read January 17, 2019

Did any of you find a solution to this? I'm having the same problem. Annoyingly someone has created an 'Alternative bug' which shows on the default but the actual original bug no longer shows.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Sam November 17, 2015

I have JIRA v7.0.0 and still I have this problem. Please let me know a solution for this.

Thanks in advance.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2015

Add them in manually. That's been the case since 6.3

Sam November 18, 2015

Thanks a lot for the answer. Please let me know the steps to add them manually. Which permissions required for this?

Evan Overby January 19, 2016

How do you add them back in manually?  They have been removed on my default as well. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2016

Log in as an admin, go to admin -> issues -> status and click "add", for each one that is missing.

I have the issue type "Task" listed in my config and it is part of other issue type schemes, but somehow it was deleted from the Default Issue Type Scheme.

Are you stating even though it is listed I should add "Task" again to put it back in the default scheme?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2016

No, I was referring to the complete deletion.   If you still have it on the list of issue types, edit the default scheme and drag it back in.

That is the problem, when editing the default scheme I don't have the option to drag any types. Only shows one column "Issue Types for Current Scheme".

Volkmar Schulz January 27, 2016

I have exactly the same problem as described by Evan. My server ist running JIRA v7.0.2.

Is that a known bug?

Is there any workaround?

Volkmar Schulz January 27, 2016

It looks like this:

Crystal Anderson February 2, 2016

I am experiencing the same issue.  No way to add Task and Subtask back to the default Scheme.

Volkmar Schulz February 2, 2016

I did open a ticket and got this solution:

"Regarding the issue, you will have to manually insert them in the database. Please refer to the workaround of Cause 1 in this article. It provides the steps on how to enter the values in the database.

Make sure to generate a backup prior to modifying the database for roll back purposes. If possible, perform this in a Test Instance to make sure everything works before performing it to your Production Instance"

Worked for me.

Suggest an answer