How to add an issue to the Kanban board, from the Kanban board view

This is my first day with the JIRA free trial, so this is a very basic question from a new user.

To learn how to set up and manage a kanban board, I am modifying the default kanban set up in the trial.

One of the cards gives the following instructions:

"Add work items with "+ Create Issue" at the top right of the screen >> Try adding a new card now."

However, when I view the top right of the screen, I do not see "+ Create Issue".  I do see the icons for the following:

Search  /  Help Us Improve JIRA  /  Help  /  Administration  /  User Profile

Underneath this row of icons, I see two buttons, one to make changes to the board ("Board") and a button with nest carets that is used to hide and reveal the header.

I am able to add issues if I select the "Issues" icon from the left side side of the Kanban view screen, which takes me to the "Open Issues" screen.

I have searched through JIRA software documentation and viewed some videos, but have not been able to discover how to add issues from the Kanban board.

Thank you!

4 answers

1 accepted

Hello Deborah,

Do you have permission to create issues? Did you create a project before try create a issue?

Well,

To add cards to your board you need Create a issue for this board. Your board have a filter, and this filter have issues.

To create issues:

1. Click the Create Issue at the top of the screen to open the Create Issue dialog box.
    tickKeyboard shortcutc
  2. Select the relevant Project and Issue Type on the Create Issue dialog box.

Read more here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira062/creating-an-issue-588581741.html

And if you want to know more about Kanban Boards:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/configuring-a-board-764477974.html

Lemme know if this help you. Or comment here if you're still with the problem.

Thank you, Lameck, for your complete response.

You asked a good question about permissions.  I am the Administrator for the trial account, so I do have the permission to create an issue.

I was able to access the Create Issue dialog box with the information you provided about the Keyboard shortcut c.

I still do not see the Create Issue at the top of my screen.  If you have the time and interest to send a screenshot that illustrates the location of Create Issue, I'd be interested to see it.

The information your provided did answer my question and allows me to move forward with my exploration.

Regards,

Deborah

Hello Deborah, it's a pleasure too me try help you. So lemme trying a little more:

1. You have a board - a kanban board, like this:

image2016-6-4 12:11:14.png

2. And your board have a filter, to me is a filter based on a project
    image2016-6-4 12:12:32.png

3. And you can Create issues at this button
    image2016-6-4 12:14:26.png
  4. Click on Create button at top, and select the Project - the same project at your board filter.
    image2016-6-4 12:15:26.png
  5. Put the summary, select the issue type, etc
  6. And click on create button

I think is this. Lemme know if you have any doubts or need some help to create. laugh 

Regards,
Lameck. 

@Deborah Gregory, did it help you? Lemme know if you have any doubt. laugh 

Hello

I have the same problem, the Create Issue button not appearing on the kanban board. I am an administrator, I have created a project, and have created the kanban board. 

However, the shortcut did work :)

Thanks

Cinzia

0 vote
Han Chang I'm New Here Sunday

I'm having the same problem as well - there is definitely no "Create Issue" button on my Kanban board. The keyboard shortcut `c` is the only way I can create a new issue from the Kanban board view. Attached is a screenshot.

Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 12.21.41 PM.png

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,338 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot