How to add an epic link to a closed issue

For reporting purposes I need to link closed issues (stories) to epics. The closed issues are part of an already closed sprint. The issues (stories) and epics are separated in two different projects. So our 'team'-project contains all the stories and we use a 'program'-project for our epics.

After closing our sprint, I noticed the missing epic links in our 'team'-project.

Is it possible to add the epic links to our stories afterwards without disturbing the information of our current sprint and closed sprint?
And what is the best way to proceed?

Best regards, Alex.

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.
Tyler Brown Community Champion Jan 11, 2018

Hey Alex,

It is possible to add Epic links to your closed Stories, and it shouldn't have too much of an impact.

Just adding an Epic link won't change anything on you current or closed Sprints.

It may have some impact if you are using Epic reports or Portfolio, but it should be minimal since the work you are adding to the Epic is closed.

Hope this helps,

Tyler

I am very pleased to here linking is possible. What is the best way to apply a link for the closed story? I haven't been able to succeed sofar?

Tyler Brown Community Champion Jan 11, 2018

Hey Alex,

You can do it a couple of ways:

Add the "Epic Link" field to you screens and then manually add it in

If you have a larger number of stories that need to be linked to the same Epic write a JQL filter to capture them and then apply a bulk change.

Tyler

We already show/use the Epic Link field on our screens. Since the story (issue) is closed, the only way I know to alter the Epic link for a story is by reopening the story. Is this correct?
It is possible to link a closed story-issue to another epic-issue, but that is another type of link.

By reopening a story resolution information will be lost (can be saved in advance). But will reopening the issue affect the reporting on the closed Sprint as well? 
(it only concerns 5 stories so I will do the alteration manually). 

Reopening the Sprint is no option, this results in loosing to much information.

Thanks for your feedback so far.

Tyler Brown Community Champion Jan 15, 2018

You should be able to edit the Epic link regardless of the status of the Story, however you may have some permission set up where it is only editable when the Story is open.

If you do have to reopen the stories there will be a slight impact on your reporting, but it should all even out as you will be re-closing the stories afterwards.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Aug 06, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

A is for Activate: Share your top Jira Service Desk onboarding tips for new users!

Hi, everyone! Molly here from the Jira Service Desk Product Marketing Team :).  In the spirit of this month's  august-challenge, we're sourcing stories of Jira Service Desk activation fro...

576 views 25 15
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you