How to add an Emoji to a Shortcut?

Jeff Seltzer February 24, 2020

When adding or editing a shortcut in Jira cloud, the dialog box indicates, "Pro tip: Start your shortcut’s name with an emoji to customize its icon."

I can't figure out how to do this. I tried using the keyboard shortcuts like (?) and tried cutting and pasting an emoji, but no joy.

Anyone know how to actually do this?

Thanks.

2 answers

2 votes
Emiliano Ritiro June 15, 2021

this only works for standard emojis. if I want to have custom emojis (eg. a github logo to a github page) I can't put them in links.

2 votes
David I February 24, 2020

Same here, I want to make it clear to the project team what this link is for by putting an image there. 

image.png

Amanda Contardo February 27, 2020

I am able to copy emojis from here https://emojipedia.org/ and paste them into the Shortcut

Like # people like this
Kailin March 5, 2020

This worked for me, per Amanda's suggestion.

Interesting that a standard copy and paste of the image did not work at all.

MI May 11, 2020

How did you copy? I do not understand and tried a copy and paste of Link, file, right mousebutton. What did I forget?

Kailin May 11, 2020

@MI , first go to emojipedia.org and find your emoji. You then copy the emoji from that page (from their copy button) and paste it into the Jira text field. This works in Atlassian 👍🏽

Like # people like this
MI May 15, 2020

Kaillin Thank you very much! I must have been blind! 🧱

Like Andrew Marley likes this
Arvin Yorro May 26, 2020

Following Amanda's suggestion did not override the default shortcut icon

Like Brian Voss likes this
Brian Voss July 10, 2020

Agree with @Arvin Yorro , my expectation was that the icon added would replace the shortcut icon.  Pasting an icon into the Name box does not behave that way

EDIT:  Got this to work, but it only worked for Emoji that are included in the Unicode list https://emojipedia.org/unicode-6.0/

Like # people like this
Christopher Tallos August 4, 2020

On Windows 10, I just right click on the field and select Emoji. Not sure this applies to Mac users though.

2020-08-04_23-04-56.jpg

Like # people like this
David Thomas March 10, 2021

Amazing never noticed that!!👌👍

Like # people like this
Karim Arbaoui July 14, 2021

Nice Windows tip, but no way to add a custom icon/emoji...

Suggest an answer