How to add a user to all projects with different permission schemes?

Rachel Smith October 22, 2013

Hi,

I would like to know what will be the best way to add a single user to all our projects in JIRA.

These projects have different Permission schemes.

Thanks!

4 answers

0 votes
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2020

I would also like some insight on this please ... I.e. we have an admin user that should by default be added to all projects automatically (with same permissions or different if possible) - even on newly created projects ...

Anyone?

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 6, 2020

I use project roles which allows me to have just one permission scheme for all projects. Normally the project lead assigns users to the roles, but you can have the user assigned to the permission you need in the permission scheme. That way they will automatically be assigned when the permission scheme is applied to the project. You will need to go back and update current permission schemes in the projects. HOWEVER, I strongly advise you DO NOT give any individual user permission that way. Create a group you want to have the permission and give the group the permission. Then you can add/delete users in the group. People come and go and touching each project will be a pain.  

0 votes
Lee Harrison May 28, 2020

Move to a different project tool.  Jira is almost a way to hid work from management but cheap enough the they don't care.  

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 22, 2013

We had a similar situation for a limited number of users. We created a special group and added the users to that group. We then gave that group permission. You still need to touch every permission scheme or project(if giving the group permission via project role), but only once. I'm sure you'll end up needing to change who gets the special access.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 22, 2013

I'm afraid there is no easy way to do this. You need to work through the permission schemes to work out each rule and then add your user to the appropriate group or role. (Note - I recommend the use of roles as they let you have simple permission screens and allow you to add users to specific multiple projects quite easily from their profile)

Suggest an answer