Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

How to add a task to the Current Sprint while in the Board View

Edited

Hi

Background 

Each morning our team reviews our sprint board in Jira (cloud / nextgen project). We organise the sprint board by user. Our sprint prioritises the work for the week. Each member gives an update on the issues/stories they are working on, we make sure it's in the right stage on the board and record any updates as comments. This works well.

Often there are adhoc (unplanned) stories that we have to include in the weeks sprint. Unfortunately this is really cumbersome and slow to do in Jira and requires leaving the board view, opening the  backlog view or in our case user story mapping view (easy agile plugin) adding a task there then navigating back to the board view. It seems like a oversight not to be able to add tasks to the live sprint from the board view. If each team member has updates to make it's really unproductive give the page loads and context switching and not a great user experience.

Ask

Is it possible to add stories to a live sprint in the board view are we are just missing a config? If it is not supported be great to know why this is? I am not sure conceptually why it wouldn't be available especially as you can add new tasks to a sprint via backlog view- just a very bad user experience. Implementation wise imagine very easy for a developer to include - simply  introducing the "Create Issue" button in the interface and setting the sprint to current sprint when a task is created. Similar to the  "Create Issue" button in the backlog view works.

Help and advice welcome.

1 answer

1 vote
Jack Brickey Community Leader Oct 19, 2020

there is not a "create" or "add" to sprint capability OOTB. I think the reason is that you really shouldn't do that or at least make it a habit so don't make it easy. Just my interpretations of this. You can obviously add to a sprint from Backlog or directly from detailed issue view or the Create button.

Idiotic design choice from Jira.

Give me the rope to hang myself with.

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey Community Leader Jun 01, 2022

?

Agree with the OP and @Aleksander Altberg .  Everybody does it ... and has been asking for it for years.  That was one of the reasons we moved away from  Jira ... now that i've come back to it after a 4 year break I am surprised that it is still here as a "feature" ... a rather arrogant "father knows best" approach unfortunately.

Well articulated @clarence by the way.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you