How to add Null+Value

Neetu Verma April 1, 2020

I have 3 custom field which stores the estimation for 3 work categories.  They all are numeric fields.

Our Story point is the addition of all these 3 fields

I have this Math rule which works if 3 of these are valued

{{#=}} {{issue.customfield_12018}} + {{issue.customfield_12020}} + {{issue.customfield_12102}} {{/}}

But sometime not all 3 fields will be valued and then I get below error

Error rendering smart-values when executing this rule:Missing parameter(s) for operator +: + 0.25 +

Can someone help me to figure out how to handle Null

1 answer

1 accepted

14 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2020

Hi Neetu - try this code which sets the value of the field to 0 first if it is missing a value:

{{#=}} {{issue.customfield_12018|0}} + {{issue.customfield_12020|0}} + {{issue.customfield_12102|0}} {{/}}

Neetu Verma April 6, 2020

OMG.. John

Thank you so much.. it worked. I cant even thank you enough for making this work. I am super glad I didn't put a workaround. 

Thanks

Neetu

Like rcampos likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2020

Great! I am glad that worked for you.  :-)

Can you click on the Accept answer button above so we can close this one out? Thanks!

Mustafa Slatewalla May 28, 2021

Awesome !! This worked Well !!

Like John Funk likes this
Jeshua Paul
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 10, 2024

This is exactly what I needed as well, thank you @John Funk !!! The "|0" is brilliant and will be really useful for number fields in the future !

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 10, 2024

Great! Glad you found it useful. 

Harsh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2024

HI @John Funk 

I have a question related to this. Can we perform 'division' action as well using smart values. I could not find anything in documents as well. But instead of + I used '/'

I tried the similar approach {{#=}} {{issue.customfield_1245|0}} / {{issue.customfield_5656|0}} {{/}}

I am getting the following error:
Missing parameter(s) for operator /: 125 /

where 125 is the value customfield_1245.

Any suggestion would be a great help.

Thank you in advance.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2024

Hi @Harsh  - Not sure why that didn't work as that is the corrector operator. Though it sounds like it is not getting a value for customfield 5656. You could try doing a log action on that field or just update the field to have a 0 in it. You should always default number fields to 0 if you are planning on using them in automation. 

Harsh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2024

Hi @John Funk 

Thanks for the update.
I updated the following rule with following input:

{{issue.customfield_1245|0}} = 125 / {{issue.customfield_5656|0}} = 5

I am expecting an answer of 25.

Option 1:

{{#=}}{{issue.customfield_1245|0}} / {{issue.customfield_5656|0}}{{/}}

Here I am getting the error:

Error rendering smart-values when executing this rule:
Division by zero: 1250.0 / 0

Option 2:

{{#=}}{{issue.customfield_1245.value|0}} / {{issue.customfield_5656.value|0}}{{/}}

Here nothing happens, rules does not run.
Option 3:

{{#=}}{{issue.customfield_1245.value}}/ {{issue.customfield_5656.value}}{{/}}

Here I get the following error

Unknown unary operator / at character position 1: /

Option 4:

{{#=}}{{issue.customfield_1245}} / {{issue.customfield_5656}}{{/}}

Here I get the following error:

Missing parameter(s) for operator /: 125.0 /
So all in all I tried all the possible match where the operator '/' can be used but no luck.
I think this is the issue of the operator?
Any help will be supported.
Thanks!
Harsh
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 13, 2024

Hi @John Funk 

Issue resolved. I  tried with other field and it did. Somehow JIRA was not able to take the value from the other field.

Thank you

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 21, 2024

Great! Glad it is working!

Suggest an answer