How to access current transition name in a listener?

Dmitri Barski October 15, 2014

Hi folks,

for auditing purposes, I am currently writing a listener (which will sit on the "Generic event", since this one is called from every transition).

The issue I am trying to resolve is - how to get the transition name or ID within the listener code?

transientVars is not defined there, so I cannot use transientVars["actionId"]...

Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance

Best regards

Dmitri

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 15, 2014

There's no transientVars in a listener because the transition is complete by the time a listener picks it up.

That concept is also important with what you're trying to do - listeners only catch events, not transitions.  If you want your listener to do different things on different transitions, then you need to do one of two things:

1. Use a different event for each transition
  2. In the listener, pick out the issue and read its history.  You still won't get the transition ID directly, but you will pick up the change of status from X to Y.

I'd strongly recommend using the first approach.  Admins like me will have a tendency to go through workflows and change "generic" to more useful events so that we can use notifications and listeners properly.  If I found a listener that relies on "generic event" being fired for everything, frankly, I'd delete it and re-examine the requirement with a view to doing it a sensible way.

Eric Collins December 4, 2018

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-, does this answer still apply today?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 4, 2018

Yes, listeners still catch events.

Suggest an answer