How to UNLINK Epic from Epic

Tomasz_Trejderowski February 12, 2020

By definition, you cannot link an Epic to another Epic.

However, there's a bug in most recent version of Jira Cloud that in fact allows you to do this.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create an Epic.
  2. Create one or more Story or Task within it. Make sure they're linked to Epic.
  3. Convert this Story / Task into Epic.

Jira should invalidate relation when changing Story or Task to an Epic, but due to bug it don't do this.

The question is, how can I work-around this problem?

When I edit ticket, I cannot unlink because I see "An Epic cannot be linked to another Epic" error instead of edit field.

Converting linked Epic back to Task or Story and then unlinking it is not an option because linked Epics already contain a lot of connections and relations to their own Story and Task tickets and all these connections will be lost during conversion.

Do I have any other options?

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2020

Hi @Tomasz_Trejderowski

welcome to the Community. I am unable to reproduce this issue. Can you explain more on this? Can you provide some screenshots that demonstrate where is the link between Epics exists?

Sorry, I cannot provide any screenshots, because I have already hand-solved this problem (it was a big issue for me). Issue resolved

Surely, you should be able to replicate this problem by adding some Stories to any Epic and then turning these Stories into Epics.

But, as I just said, this is a off-topic notice as the issue is resolved for me.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2020

i was not able to reproduce using the following steps:

• start with a story linked to an epic1
  • used the Move operation to move one of the stories to create a new epic (epic2)
  • Epic2 shows no signs of being linked to Epic1 nor does Epic1 illustrate any connectivity to Epic2

Please share what you were seeing. If this is happening we should reach out to Atlassian Support to let them know.

You DO NOT move Story into another Epic. You keep that story within current Epic and only change its type into Epic.

http://onezeronull.com/2020/02/12/how-to-unlink-epic-from-epic-in-jira-cloud/

Suggest an answer