How to PRIVATELY turn slack messages into Jira tasks

Howard Hunt June 30, 2021

I use the Jira Cloud > Slack integration to turn slack messages into Tasks within my DM's/channels.

However I often convert thread messages into my Private Project Tasks and I don't want everyone to see/be notified in the thread, every time I do this.

I know I can delete the Jira notification message after it appears in the thread, but is there a way to add messages to Jira privately, without clogging up everyone's channels with my personal task creation notifications?

And yes, I know I could jump over to my jirabot channel to do it, but that requires leaving my active thread, typing the slack command and copy pasting every message which defeats the purpose of being convenient

ThankScreen Shot 2021-06-30 at 10.56.39 AM (2).png

2 answers

0 votes
Thomas Boudier [Adaptavist]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 5, 2021

Hi Howard,

We released a Slack app called Workflow Steps for Jira, that integrates with Slack's Workflow Builder to let you create and update Jira tickets from Slack with an emoji reaction for example. In the Workflow Builder, you're fully in control of whether or not you want a message posted every time it's triggered.

https://jirasteps.app

However you need to configure a workflow in the Workflow Builder for each channel you want to create tickets from (Slack's Workflow Builder doesn't support multi-channel workflow; it's straightforward but it can be tedious if you want to be able to work from many different channels).

The app is free.

If you believe this could be of interest, let me know, I'm happy to walk you through the configuration.

Cheers!

Howard Hunt July 7, 2021

Thanks Thomas, this looks great, unfortunately IT won't play that game. All the best

0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 2, 2021

Hi @Howard Hunt , welcome to the Community!

Thanks for describing your workflow with creating Jira issues from Slack. I can see how you'd prefer to have the confirmation messages be ephemeral (visible only to you) or have the ability to turn them off. Currently the official Jira Cloud for Slack app which comes bundled with Jira and I can see you're using from your screenshot does not have this capability. Deleting the messages after they pop into the thread is the current method to remove the notifications.

We don't have a feature request to add this capability to the app, and given that I believe that this is the first time someone has asked, it seems unlikely that this would be prioritized for development. Tagging Atlassian product manager @David Michelson here for insight.

There are some third-party apps on the Atlassian Marketplace that might have this capability - I quickly flipped through a few and didn't find mention of this on their marketplace listings, but it's possible one or more apps may have it as a configurable option listed in their documentation.

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

Howard Hunt July 2, 2021

Well that's a little disappointing, Daniel, however I appreciate you taking the time to respond thoroughly, as well as scanning the marketplace for me.

For what it's worth I only encountered the use case recently when enabling the new Work Management 'Personal task planner' and 'Task tracking' templates. I know those are new so perhaps the use case will be more prevalent now you're encouraging those workflows outside of the software product.

Thanks Howard

Magnus Ahlberg September 14, 2023

Let me just add one more voice to this request. I just started a personal task planner in Jira and experienced this when adding my very first task. It really is quite a bad default design / first impression for it to post messages to slack without any clear indication about what will happen. Since it also includes text that I added to the task that I thought was private, that could potentially be a rather sensitive issue.

Please add me to the list of customers who would activate this feature on day 1, and will have to avoid using the jira for slack connection until it's in place.

Also, I don't want to sound overly negative. I really appreciate the thorough response to the original post that at least let me know I didn't configure things wrong.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events