How to Convert Next Gen project to Classic Project

Alan Levin February 25, 2019

Some people set up Next Gen projects instead of classic JIRA Scrum project.

1. Is there any way to convert these ‘next gen’ projects over to normal projects ? If no then is there a way to move all the contents over ?
  2. Is there a way to disable the option to create these projects as the same thing may happen with somebody else ?

6 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2019

Hello @Alan Levin 

Currently, there is no way to convert next-gen to classic projects. You will have to bulk move issues from next-gen to classic projects.

Yes, you can disable the option for others to create next-gen projects.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2019

In the "global permissions" there is a permission called "Create next-gen projects", just make sure that only admins have this permission so that normal users can't create next-gen projects.

Like Dakshan P likes this

Thanks Tarun. 

So, our step is to create a Classic Project and then move the issues from next gen to classic project.  If people applied time to the issue in next gen project (we are using Tempo Timesheets), will it migrate over to the Classic Project?

Can you tell me how/where we can disable the option for the next-gen projects?

I will fix the global permissions for Next-Gen projects.  Thanks.

Like Tarun Sapra likes this
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 25, 2019

If my answer helped you, please accept/upvote so that others are helped as well.

Like Quí Trần 83 likes this
8 votes
Wayne Bethell February 19, 2020

Would like to know if this feature is on road-map or there is a way of converting now, I have inherited a next gen board, but need the functionalities that classic brings

5 votes
Chris Hutchinson March 4, 2020

Yes, I would like to see a solution for this. 'Done' issues persisting in the backlog is an absolute pain.

James Butler June 29, 2020

I wish they would fix this.

4 votes
Dhiren Bhanushali May 10, 2019

What was the final outcome of this? I would appreciate if clarify it provided by Jira. I am stuck with Next Gen Project as I cannot run multiple sprints.

0 votes
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 17, 2021

Here's the official word from Atlassian on converting from one project type to the other:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/migrate-between-team-managed-and-company-managed-projects/

TMPs and CMPs are what they are. Educating users as to the most appropriate project type is an Admin's responsibility. Worst-case, an admin can globally disable the creation of TMPs in your Jira instance.

TMPs have a lot of known limitations. CMPs have plenty of known configuration overhead. Every Jira Admin should take a little time to understand these basic foundations of Jira. As for which is "best fit for purpose", that always depends on the needs of your organization and teams.

If you're a Jira user (and not an Admin), lean on your instance's Admin(s) to get recommendations and help. The community here can help with many questions, but we cannot make Administrative decisions for your Organization. Jira is a "Swiss army knife" tool with myriad uses and configurations. That's what makes Jira Admins valuable.

0 votes
Amit Ghindora January 25, 2021

There is any final outcome on this topic? I am stuck with "Next gen project" due to Workflow, cannot be created separately by each Issue Type. Wanted to move into Classic Feature of JIRA. Please help me how can I change with on-going sprint content. 

Suggest an answer