How to Configure X/Y axis fields of the two dimensional filter

Mihai89 September 24, 2014

Hi,

I have a field A (that holds values from 1 to 11) that is completed automatically by JIRA based on fields B and C.

In Two Dimensional Filter Statistic, the X/Y axis dropdown list doesn't contain the field A. Is there any way to manually add the field in the x/y axis dropdown of the two dimensional filter or in the pie chart gadget for example ?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 24, 2014

The list of fields for the 2d gadget and some others is determined by whether a field is a bounded list or not (effectively a fixed list of possible values, rather than an open ended arbitrary data set)  All the types of select list are bounded lists, but obviously, text fields, number fields and dates cannot be.

I suspect your field A is a numeric - consider using a select list instead, as you know it's only going to hold 10 values.

There are plugins that allow the creation of bounded open-ended fields, but before reaching for them, you need to think about it - text and number fields are pretty much useless as bounded data items by their nature, and dates aren't a lot better.  I've also had issues with one of the plugins that do this - it fails badly with medium to large datasets.

Mihai89 September 24, 2014

As you said, A is numeric, but so is B and C. the problem is that B & C appear in the x/y dropdown list, but A doesn't.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2014

I doubt that they are. They might look numeric because you've set them up with options like "1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, wtc", but you'll find that they are either bounded type fields, or of types provided by a plugin like I mention. I apologise. I should have been more clear about what I meant by "type". That's the type of field, the data in it is not important. Types of field include system fields - component, version, priority, summary, etc, and then the standard custom field types - date, text, number, select, multi-select, user and so-on

Mihai89 September 25, 2014

I understand, thank you !

0 votes
Rushabh Trivedy August 5, 2018

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Thanks for your responses on this topic (I've also followed other posts).

So far I've understood that custom fields (single line, text) won't show up in 2-dimensional filter stats because they are unbounded. The thing is, why does the 'Label' field show up in these though?

Would really appreciate your help.

Cheers

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2018

It does show up, unless you're on a really old version of Jira where labels was still a separate add-on or was still in the process of being properly merged in.  Should be there from version 5 if memory serves.

Rushabh Trivedy August 6, 2018

Yes the Label field does show up for me.

Sorry, what I meant to ask was, if the Label field shows up, why can't any other text field?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2018

The label field is a bounded list of objects.

Suggest an answer