How to Assign same Issue to multiple user using JiraCli.

Kailash Pathak February 9, 2014

Hi,

I have already created Issues list in JIRA. Now i want the these issue to be assign to multiple user.

Is it possiable i keep user name in .csv file with Issue id (Issue) and run the commond from the command prompt and user assign to the issue id that i mention in my .csv file.

Please Help!

Regards,

Kailash Pathak

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Steffen Schluff February 9, 2014

The JIRA documentation addresses the subject of assigning issues to multiple users as part of the usage FAQ: https://confluence.atlassian.com/x/1QpeD

The short answer of course still is "You can't", but maybe one of the options provided in the link above is what you are actually looking for.

Kailash Pathak February 9, 2014

Hi Steffen,

I am not able to open the https://confluence.atlassian.com/x/1QpeD

Can you please help me .

Regards,

-KP

Steffen Schluff February 9, 2014

Hi Kailash,

apparantly Atlassian's documentation wiki is having some problems at the moment, I can't access it myself right now (although it partly loaded after several refreshes).

The link I posted was just the tiny link for https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/How+do+I+assign+issues+to+multiple+users

Just give it some time and then try again, I'm sure they will be back online soon :-)

Take care

Steffen

Kailash Pathak February 11, 2014

Hi Steffen,

if i want to assign same issue to multiple user e.g 3 i have to create 3 Custom field and thee field for each assignee in .csv file.

Pls correct me

Regards,

KP

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2014

Your choices are listed in the document Steffen already gave (it's up now, by the way), and the best option has already been given to you above as well (a multi-user-picker to repeat the answer)

1 vote
Kailash Pathak February 14, 2014

Hi,

How i make Assignee field as a "multi-user-picker" field. So that i can store more then one valie in this field.

-KP

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2014

PLEASE READ THE ANSWERS YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN ALREADY

Sorry to be so shouty, but you really are starting to get annoying because you are not reading people's replies.

You have been told you can not do this several times. Asking again is NOT going to change that situation.

You need to be reading the answers you are given, and then looking at the advice on how to handle multiple assignees.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2014

The whole idea of an assignee is someone is responsible for working the issue. In reality, a group can't be. That is just how people are. The best you can do is create an ID with a distribution list email address so when the issue is assigned to that ID everyone on the distribution list is notified. You'll still need a group lead to be responsible to make sure the issues are being worked and when management wants to know why it wasn't they will all say 'I thought ..... was working it' No accountablility.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2014

You can't.

The assignee field holds a single user.

Jira does not do assign-to-group or assign-to-multiple-users. Doesn't matter if you're using the CLI or some other trick, Jira simply doesn't have the structure to hold more than one user in the assignee field.

Kailash Pathak February 10, 2014

Thanks Steffen!

I am planing to use "Managing Issues via a Queue" by doing below two setting

1. Configure your JIRA project to allow the 'default assignee' to be 'Unassigned' (see Defining a Project).
  2. Ensure that 'Allow unassigned issues' is set to ON in your General Configuration settings (Administration > Global Settings > General Configuration

My Query

After doing above these two setting can i assign "multiple user" by giving comma seprated value in column "Assigne" in my .csv file ? or there is any duffrent way to give mutliple user id in .csv column.

Note::

Assigne: This column currently i am using for to import data by giving mail id of single user in my .csv file.

Once again thanks for your support

Regards,

KP

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 10, 2014

Separate the column into many columns so you have 1 column per "assigne" in your CSV. Then map each column to your "assigne" field in Jira, repeatedly

Thanks Nic !!

So you mean to say my .csv file consisit following column

CSv file columns::

Action
Type
Project
Objective
Component
Assignee 1
Assignee 2
Assignee 3
Assignee 4
Assignee 5
Labels

And Property file having follwoing field::

field.Type = Type

field.Component = Components
field.Objective = Summary
field.project = Project
field.Label = Labels
field.Assignee = Assignee

Please correct me if i am missing any point

Regards,

-KP

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 10, 2014

Your property file is missing field.customfield_12345 = Assignee 1, field.customfield_12345 = Assignee 2 and so-on

I also thought you were going to leave "assignee" blank, because it can't have more than one value

Please see my update property file

field.Type = Type
field.Status =
field.project = Project
field.Label = Labels
field.Assignee 1 = Assignee
field.Assignee 2 = Assignee
field.Assignee 3 = Assignee
field.Epic Link = Epic Link
field.Environment = Environment
field.Description = Description

Note :

In above property file Right side all are JIRA label and Left side field.(All are csv column)

Please update if still i am missing any thing.

Regards,

Kp

Hi Nic,

Pre-condition:

After creating Issue Type (e.g Story) under Assignee "Unassigned" (JUST TO CONFIRM SETTING IS DONE PROPERLY)

Now Stracture of my .csv file with following columns ::

-Action (CreateIssue)

-Type (Story)
-Project (XXX)
-Component (XXX)
-Assignee 1 (Name 1)
-Assignee 2 (Name 2)
-Assignee 3 (Name 3)
-Labels
-Status
-Objective
-Description

And field in import.property file

field.Type = Type
field.project = Project
field.Label = Labels
field.Assignee 1 = Assignee
field.Assignee 2 = Assignee
field.Assignee 3 = Assignee

After execution command

jira.bat --server https://xxxxx/jira--user xxx --password "########" --action runFromCsv --file import.csv --propertyFile import.properties --common --continue

Message display "Run completed Successfully......"

But Problem is that Assignee not map with created Issue Type (Story)

Is i am doing any mistake ?

Please help

Regards,

-KP

Nic,

Any update

Please help.

KP

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 10, 2014

You've got it the wrong way around - you want your custom assignee field to take the values from the csv. As I already said, it should be

field.customfield_12345 = Assignee 1, field.customfield_12345 = Assignee 2 etc

Thanks Nic..!

So you mean to say ;

field.customfield_12345 = Assignee 1

field.customfield_12345 = Assignee 2

field.customfield_12345 = Assignee 3

I hope for remaining field i have done the correct mapping also i am not facing any problem to import data for these field.

I will try with this mapping then i wil update you.

Regards,

Kailash

Hi Nic,

Assignee is not custom field in my case.A I have done small change in my property file

field.Type = Type
field.Status =
field.project = Project
field.Label = Labels
field.Assignee = Assignee 1
field.Assignee = Assignee 2
field.Assignee = Assignee 3
field.Epic Link = Epic Link
field.Environment = Environment

Nic : Please Help your help is appreciated.

Regards,

-KP

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 11, 2014

Argh.

How many more times are we going to have to tell you that you can NOT put more than one user in the assignee field?

Assignee is a single user.

That is it

End of story.

It does not matter how you try to fill it in, it can only take one value.

You can put many users into a custom field if you want. You can use that to represent many assignees, but it is NOT the assignee field and never will be.

Thanks Nic

Sorry I understand little bit late. i have to add 3 Custom field if i want to assign same issue to 3 user.

Thanks a lot.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 11, 2014

No.

You could add three fields if that works best for you. But most of this conversation has been about using a multiple-user-picker (as described in the documentation Steffen pointed to). One field, multiple users logged, but still NOT Assignee.

Kailash Pathak February 13, 2014

Nic,

You mean to say i have to make assignee field as "multi-user-picker" field then it will take more then one value when i import .csv file.

Please correct me

-KP

Suggest an answer