How to Add Existing Issue to Kanban Board?

John Weiss May 20, 2021

I need to add various arbitrary existing issues to my Kanban board. 

My understanding is that issues aren't manually added to boards. Rather, they automatically appear according to filter, correct?

In my board configure screen, i see "Filter". Not sure how to use this. 

Can i apply a label or other property to an issue to make it appear on a board?

thx

4 answers

1 accepted

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 4, 2022

Hello,

For anyone who gets on this thread, there are two types of kanban boards on Jira: Company-managed and Team-managed. You can identify its type by navigating to the board and checking its description at the bottom of the left menu:

Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 18.58.10.png

A Team-managed board will always display the issues from the project it was created and can not be customized, however, company-managed boards are based on a JQL filter which can be customized to return any issues of your site.

You can follow the steps below to properly edit the filter of a Company-managed Kanban board:

1. Navigate to the board > Click in the three dots menu (...) > Board settings
    Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 19.03.46.png
  2. On the General tab, click Edit filter query and edit the filter to return the issues you need

You can refer to the documentation below to know the correct JQL syntax to edit the board filter and return the issues you need:

Use advanced search with Jira Query Language (JQL) 

For more details about Kanban boards and how to create a company-managed kanban board for your issues, check the documentation below:

Kanban Boards 

Thanks!

2 votes
John Weiss May 29, 2021

it seems it's not working. i think i have the filter set up, and it seems to pull up several issues on the filter screen but i'm not seeing any issue on the Kanban. I thought i just have to make a filter to see them on Kanban. 

Screenshot (27).png

----------

Screenshot (28).png

Charles Kim March 21, 2022

John did you ever find a solution? I am facing the same issue. I am creating stories but cannot get them into the Kanban board.

Charles

Like gabe.sielicki likes this
2 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2021

You are correct, boards are configured to show issues based one the filter that the board is using. You have the option to change the filter so it brings in issues based on a label or any other fields. Your other option is to create the filter first, and then create a new board and when doing so, set it to use the filter you created.

John Weiss May 22, 2021

i couldn't figure out how to filter on label. 

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2021

labels = my-label or labels in (label1, label2) is how you filter based on a label.

1 vote
Sergio M. Gard November 30, 2023

It seems complicated for no reason. Just give us an add Issue button. I I use filters I also get Issue on the board that are not relevant for this specific Scrum Project. And with a team based board. You can only add new projects. 

Suggest an answer