How should a JIRA Admin enable Classic project creation option

Kanchana December 26, 2018

I need to create a project in classic format and how should I enable the project settings so that Project admin can create classic project

1 answer

1 vote
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 26, 2018

Hello,

Only Jira administrators can create classic projects. If you want a user to be able to create a classic project, this user must be a Jira administrator.

Thanks for your quick response. Could you please share the steps to create a Classic Project by a JIRA admin ?

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 26, 2018

You can find here how to create a project.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/creating-editing-deleting-and-hiding-projects-844500729.html

When you choose the create project option you will have two choices: next-gen project and classic project. If you are not a Jira administrator, then you will have only the next-gen option.

Like Jacob Doyle likes this

Thanks much.

Charles Tan November 21, 2019

Hi, seems i do not have the option to choose and was directed to NEW-Gen right away.

anyone can help?

Patrick Waldo May 4, 2020

From what I read on the other forums, JIRA took Classic Projects away from everybody and only JIRA Admins can create Classic Projects. Other users can only create Next Gen projects. 

To me this is a TERRIBLE decision, because for me (the JIRA Admin) I now have to create projects for everybody because the Next Gen projects do not have the features my PM needs. It's great that Roadmaps was done first because that's going to be an awesome feature, but when 7/10 features are not ported over they should only ask Early Adopters to trial Next Gen projects and leave everyone else to be middle market. 

Like mengyun.wu likes this
usf May 13, 2020

I agree with you, I now have to field requests daily from the rest of my team to create and manage projects for them. This is SUPER ANNOYING and has tripled my workload almost overnight! 

PLEASE REVERT IT BACK! 

Angel Bolabo October 20, 2020

Hi! You may provide product access to the group you'd like to have Admin access enable for them to use classic template.

Just go to Admin > Product Access > Administration Access > Add Group 

Hope this resolves your issue! :)

Anagha Khopkar March 23, 2022

hi, are company managed projects the new classic projects?

Suggest an answer