How prepare Ubuntu system? - web server? windowing system?

Steve Fogel September 15, 2020

Hi, all...

I've got an AWS EC2 instance (a virtual Linux server) running Ubuntu 18.x. Before I install JIRA software for an on-premise instance of JIRA, what else do I need to get going?

- Does the JIRA installer install a web server, or must I install/start one that came with Ubuntu? Please provide or point me to installation/startup details for the web server.

- Must I have a windowing system (GUI desktop) running to complete installation and perform JIRA configuration and administration? If so, got good advice for installing Gnome and connecting from a Windows 10 desktop?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2020

Actually, almost every Linux distribution that supports networking and a supported architecture will work. 

This comes down to "can the server run the required version of Java?".  Note that is not "does it have it installed?", just "can it run it?"

The Jira installers will install everything you need to run Jira - the application server which can serve up pages, Jira, the Java needed for them, and so-on.  They do it as a (large) command line script, no GUI or fuss, but once the server is running, you will need to visit it with a browser to complete the setup (unless you know what config files to directly edit)

Steve Fogel September 17, 2020

Hi, Nic, thx for the answer. So the Jira app and Tomcat can serve up web pages without the need to be running a web server (e.g. Apache2) on the host?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2020

Yes, Tomcat can throw up pages without another web-server.

Suggest an answer