How many workflow post functions is too many?

Andrew Januszak December 27, 2019

Just curious from a management as well as a performance standpoint...

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 27, 2019

I've seen transitions with almost 100.  They're very slow, but still work.

On top of the standard five, I would try to avoid adding more than 10-12 simple ones, or 2-3 complex (or dependent on other systems) ones if you want the transition to execute before your people get frustrated and impatient.

From a management point, working through a list of 70 "clever" things someone things they might need to do on a transition is a nightmare.  I'd rather have a couple that do some minimal stuff, and one that offloads the rest of the clever things as a single "Oi!  This just happened" to some middleware layer.

Andrew Januszak December 30, 2019

Thanks Nic, that makes a lot of sense. 

I'm curious--do you have guidelines or thoughts on when/why to build automation into post-functions vs. Automation/Automation for Jira?

Payne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 30, 2019

100! Egad!

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 30, 2019

@Payne - yes, scary, and horrid to try to untangle.

@Andrew Januszak - I have no "simple" guidelines, it is absolutely "what will work for this team".  Do what works well for your people (not you as an admin - our job is not to be happy, but to enable other people to work well together, even when that particular config is really bad)

Like # people like this
ChristopherChilds December 12, 2022

I appreciate I am replying to an old response. But, @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- do you know of any Performance differences between Jira Automation and Post Functions?

Like Andrew Januszak likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 13, 2022

Automations put more load on a machine, because they have to be triggered, inspected and then followed, often doing many complex things.  Post functions simply run when the transition is confirmed, most don't need to do any of the triggering and inspection work.

There is not that much in it, but note that for most Cloud systems, you only get a limited number of automation executions a month...

ChristopherChilds January 31, 2023

I see why the number is restricted on Cloud.

However, then on DC. Would you suggest that we need to somehow monitor automations and then suggest to users if some of them look like they could be moved to a post function? Because with Automation there is no control as such. A Project can just create hundreds of rules. :D

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 1, 2023

Yes, your admins should be checking up on the global list of automation to see what is being used heavily or lightly.  Something most places have baked into their monthly housekeeping routine.

Suggest an answer