How long is the training to become a JIRA Administrator?

Chelsea McCall March 7, 2019

Looking for details on becoming a JIRA Admin. Is it all online? What is the cost? What is the time frame?

1 answer

0 votes
Jean-Théo [Adaptavist]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2019

Hello @Chelsea McCall

The answer depends on two factors : 

1. What is your current level of JIRA knowledge
  2. Which Administration level do you want to achieve

I will cover 2 scenarios and if they don't relate to you, give me a bit more details and I can elaborate accordingly !

Scenario 1 :

You have used JIRA as a user, but don't have any administration experience whatsoever. Your goal is to be able to do some basic JIRA administration in your current organisation and you do not necessarily wish to do the certifications.

In this case, a good place to start would be either to go through Atlassian's online trainings (recommended courses) : https://training.atlassian.com/learning-paths/jira-admin 
OR 
Going through the trainings at :

https://learn.adaptavist.com/

Both these options will give you a good understanding of the basics (Adaptavist learn takes it further than the training paths)

You should also install a local instance on your machine or create a cloud instance and test some scenarios. 

This scenario could get you to basic administration in a couple of weeks, depending on how fast you learn. (But it would take several months/years to become an expert just like for anything)

Scenario 2 :

You already have some experience with JIRA Administration but want to take it a step further and become an Accredited administrator.

Becoming accredited requires you to do 1 learning path (For example : technical sales) and 2 certifications (https://www.atlassian.com/university/certification)

Each of these 3 steps takes around 40-60 hours + two exams to pass.

I hope I answered your question, otherwise let me know!

Good luck in your learnings, JIRA Administration is awesome!

JT

Gabrielle Samuels June 3, 2020

Thanks for the information, very helpful to a newbie like myself. I really like Jira so far, very interesting and I will definitely look into the adaptavist trainings also.

Marion Hederer July 31, 2020

Hello together, 

just to clarify for myself: if I'm planning to do the jira administrator certification including the following steps (according to the learning path): 

• Jira Administration Part 1
  • Jira Administration Part 2
  • Getting more from Jira Workflows (Pro skills badge)
  • Cert Prep Course 

how many hours would you estimate for every step/overall? I need this information for my time planning. (I have 2 years experience as an Jira Administrator)

Joanna Thurmann
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 31, 2020

Hi @Marion Hederer

I am not sure if you want to earn the Jira Cloud or Server certification, so I'll tackle both. Since you already have 2 years of experience as a Jira Admin, you may want to sign up for the cert prep course(s) first (cost $50) in order to gauge how much you already know. They take you through each Exam Topic area, objective by objective, and let you know what features/functionality fall into that topic. It will help you analyze how much you already know and what your content gaps are. Here are the cert prep courses.

Then, if you find that you need to learn more, you can go back and see which courses from the training path and/or which free skillbuilder courses will help you attain that knowledge.  Please note that you can sign up for the Beta Exams for ACP-JCA Jira Cloud Administrator and ACP-JCP Managing Jira Cloud Projects.

Good luck!

Marion Hederer August 3, 2020

Hi @Joanna Thurmann 

thank you very much for this information! To clarify: I would like to earn the Server certification.

But coming back to the time question: How many hours would you recommend to plan for the cert prep course? Approx. 10/20/30/40 hours? More?

Joanna Thurmann
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 3, 2020

Hello @Marion Hederer - to listen to the course straight through from beginning to end would be around <= 10 hrs. But we expect that you will find topics that you are unfamiliar with and so you will want to add time into your study plan, so you can investigate, explore, and study those topics further. Best wishes.

Suggest an answer