How does one limit an Issue Type to a single project?

kristi gray August 16, 2022

I have an Issue Type that was created for a specific project and do not want other projects to be able to use that issue type.  I am not finding how to restrict that Issue Type to the project. 

1 answer

3 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2022

Look to the "issue type scheme" for the projects.

You'll want to create a new scheme (copy the existing one is going to be easier), associate it with the exceptional project and then add your one issue type to the scheme.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2022

Hi Nic,

in cloud, if I do this, the new issue type will also be added to the Default Issue Type Scheme. At least I think. This within present the new issue type two other projects as well correct? Maybe server is different?

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 16, 2022

@Jack Brickey I never use the default for anything, just for this reason. I have a separate one for each type of project. Server acts the same way

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 16, 2022

@Joe Pitt ,

yes understood and agree but if the issue type is in fact added to the default scheme by the system even when the user only added it to a project specific scheme then it is available to other projects. I need to retest to see if my memory on this behavior is accurate.

@kristi gray , I am also interested in the use case for restricting or hiding an issuetype from other projects. Just curious here.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 16, 2022

@Jack Brickey It is only available if the project uses the default. As I said, I never use the default of any scheme because you don't know exactly what you'll get as things are added. We have projects for change control, bugs, database requests, etc. and they have their own set of users, issue types, screens, fields, etc. 

@kristi gray If you use separate schemes for the projects this won't be a problem. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 16, 2022

Hi @Joe Pitt , so here is an example of what I mean.

1. I created a new issue type scheme with no issue types
  2. I added a new issue type "jack Issuetype" to that scheme
  3. The issue type was added to the default as expected based upon my understanding of things

now if I go to a project that does not use the default scheme nor does it use my newly created test scheme and hit up Project settings the newly added "Jack issuetype" is listed in the available issue types as illustrated below. So my only point is while the issue type may not appear in a project, an admin could drag it into existence. This does assume the admin doesn't replace the project specific scheme at time of creation which uses the default scheme as a template.

Admittedly I may be reading too much into Kristi's post asking about restricting an issue type to a project. Maybe the intent is to ask "how can I as an admin insure an issue type is not an available option to the users within a project?"

39EEA688-6378-43E4-BF55-1EF21C6A32FF.jpeg

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 16, 2022

I didn't read it like that, I read it as "I don't want the users to use this issue type in any other project", not "I want to stop admins from being able to drop it into a project" - that's just a case of telling addmins not to do that.  (Not that you'd really care - does it really matter if another project has a use for your issue type?  It won't affect your project!)

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 16, 2022

Understood and agree. I expect I am misreading and also feel it does not matter if a project "could" have access.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 16, 2022

The question became a bit unclear there, I do not know which one of us read it better.  Certainly not the problem of @kristi gray - their post was very clear.  I hope they found an answer within our ramblings!

Suggest an answer