How does JIRA determine that a user is active?

Andrew Wolan January 31, 2014

How does JIRA determine if a user is "active" or not? I am using an Active Directory Group to assign users to a project role. If this group has 10 users, will the "Active user" account become 10 as soon as I make the change? Do the users need to login before being counted as "Active"?

Once a user is marked as "active", (there are SQL queries on this forum to determine that,) how do I make a user "inactive"?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
J. Caldwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2014

An active user is defined by either existing in the "jira-users" group OR having the "Active" flag checked on their user profile. It is checked by default when a user entity is created.

Either removing the user from jira-users OR unchecking the "Active" flag on their profile makes them become inactive. They will be unable to sign in, or take any action in Jira.

1 vote
Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2014

Whoever that can log in. That means that they account has to be active (5.0+) AND be in group that has "JIRA Users" permission. https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Global+Permissions. By default this is the jira-users group.

0 votes
Andrew Wolan January 31, 2014

Got it. Thanks.

Suggest an answer