How do you share versions among multiple projects in Jira?

I'm using Jira to track some projects that are related to my main development project and I'd like to use the same same set of versions for several projects. For instance, in my main development project, DEV, I have the versions 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, etc.I also have a customer support project, CSI, and an equipment request project, ER. I'd like to have the version list in the DEV project mirrored in the CSI and ER projects so I don't have to maintain multiple identical lists. Does any one know how to do this automagically?

A perfect solution would be to define a set of rules that would create a subset of the versions in the DEV project and use that subset to populate the version lists in CSI and ER, but I kinda doubt that's possible or practical.

Any ideas?

10 answers

1 accepted

1 vote

Since the version are different entities in different projects, you will certainly need some programming to keep them in sync.

You can either write a plugin (a service or something) that checks for new versions and sync them or do it using remote APIs like SOAP/REST or using JIRA CLI and keep the logic outside of JIRA.

You can also look at creating a new admin operation which creates a version in multiple selected projects but that will be a plugin too.

I we are using JIRA Cloud and version sync and cmmd line are not present for this .

what is the solution we have for cloud JIRA to sync versions in JIRA projects ?

I'd also like to know the answer to this.

Whats about Issues I have to move between projects. I want  them to keep the version information, especially the affected versions. If these versions are different objects, What happens during move?

copyVersions is the JIRA Command Line Interface action or just copyVersion if you want to be more selective.

That's what I ended up doing. I wrote a script that used copyVersions to copy selected versions from the base project into the others. Until I can write something that will auto-sync versions I'll have to remember to run the script.

Logan, could you share the script you wrote? We want to do the same thing. Appreciate any head up smile

@Byron: I don't know if this is still an issue for you, but we have just launched our Version Sync add-on for JIRA to the Marketplace that will do exactly this. It will automatically keep versions in sync between multiple projects, where you have one "Master" project and an unlimited number of linked projects to which version changes are propgated.

Question: Does Version Sync allow multi-project reporting against a single version? I want to use the Version Report and Release Burndown reports to monitor progress toward delivery of a product being developed under multiple JIRA projects. It won't be useful to me if Version Sync only creates same-name versions in the separate projects.

I can only recommend to stay away from VersionSync and ComponentSync plugin. They are buggy and there is zero support from the vendor. Reported to Atlassian already. Don't use, don't waste your money.

When I hosted my own JIRA I was using versionSync and I never had a problem with it. It made my life way easier trying to manage multiple JIRA projects tied to the same version releases. I switched to JIRA Cloud though and now have to do it manually which is a pain.

Please read the Vendor Statement (http://eepurl.com/bHxbP9) in regard to the bugs and the lack of support as mentioned by George Lewe. Version & Component Sync has been rewritten with all major bugs being resolved and with support for JIRA 7.

So weird this did not came out of the box!!

I still can't believe how Atlassian did not incorporate this simple issue into the product.

Hi all, 

If you don't want to pay for another add-on just for one useful feature that should be existing, here is the issue you should vote for!

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-66760

I know it's an old thread but if you've created a script for it shouldn't you be able to use the script runner to trigger it at your own schedule?

Perhaps not present in cloud version?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,296 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot